+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New from redditch

I'm Pete.

Default New from redditch

Hi i am Pete, like beer (well I do run a pub), cigs, golf & banter, from a small village near Redditch.

After Christmas thought i would get back into AV/HiFi again, so, dug out a set of old KEF eggs & sub hooked up to a recently acquired pioneer receiver and was promptly under whelmed. I had remember the KEF's sounding better.

And so the slippery slope began...set myself a budget for new speakers, very quickly escalated after hearing various offerings and ended up with some Tannoy dc6t se fronts & dc4lcr, dc4 rears. dc4lcr, quickly replaced by a matching dc6se..all was was wonderful...except music sounded pants through the pioneer Suddenly I remember an old amp I had bought in 1989, after some 'Storage wars' type box opening, there she was, an Audiolab 8000a

All hooked up, sounded much better, but still flat, lifeless altogether listless. Which is when I found this site, I have been using rpi's for a couple of years for xbmc/kodi streaming and had seen a new dac out for the rpi2 and whilst researching found Marco's thread( still about page 2 then !) and now everything is wonderful( well sort of) with the pi feeding into the audiolab.

So next job this month, probably some Temple audio mono's from battery and a passive pre of some type..then a new receiver or maybe pre/pro, cables, interconnects, sub argh

Cheers Pete

I'm Grant.

Welcome Pete. Golf and HiFi; a couple of potentially expensive hobbies. The Temples are very good with the right speakers. There are a few here who use 'em.
    Hope you find the forum useful.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Hi Pete. Welcome to AOS.

Sounds like you're having fun with your gear. It'll all come together in the end.

The Temple Audios are popular. Not tried them myself.

Keep us advised about your plans and tell us what kind of music you listen to.

You might want to start a thread in the Blank Canvas area to outline and discuss any equipment changes you have in mind. You'll get plenty of opinions.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Welcome to AoS Pete,

It's always gratifying to learn of someone benefiting from some advice given here.

Looks like you have already set yourself some audio-related tasks for the future. Keep us informed of your progress.

Enjoy the Forum

Regards
    Barry

(PS By the way, we have a thread for beer, wine and whisk(e)y lovers. If you know of any beers you would like to recommend, we would love to hear of them. )
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread