View Poll Results: How do you rate this album?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1/10

0 0%
  • 2/10

0 0%
  • 3/10

0 0%
  • 4/10

0 0%
  • 5/10

2 20.00%
  • 6/10

1 10.00%
  • 7/10

0 0%
  • 8/10

4 40.00%
  • 9/10

1 10.00%
  • 10/10

2 20.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Album Club, June 2015: Fleetwood Mac - 'Pious Bird of Good Omen'

I'm Martin.

Glad to know some of you like it.

In the mid 1990s a double CD was produced:
    "Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac live at the BBC".

This highlighted the talents of individual members of the band, much not heard before and a wide variation of styles. The notes with the CD make good reading.
    Worth a listen if you get the chance.

I'm Sean.

very good, familiar with some of the tracks but not all. Struggled with whether to give it a 7 or 8 but in the end went with an 8.

I'm Rich.

A solid 8 from me, classic stuff.

Although the Spotify version with multiple takes of 'Need You' were a bit tiresome after a while. Studio banter is entertaining though.
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by RichB View Post
    multiple takes of 'Need You' were a bit tiresome after a while. Studio banter is entertaining though.
    That's the 2004 release, try and get a listen to the original.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy S View Post
    That's the 2004 release, try and get a listen to the original.
    Yes the Spotify version has a lot more on it compared to the original vinyl.

I'm Richard.

My first contribution to the album club thread having not long found it (observant me ;-)).

This album brings back some memories. I grew up knowing Fleetwood Mac as the pop band it is today. It wasn't until my final year at school that a friend of mine who was getting very good at the guitar played me 'need your love so bad' and it came as a bit of a shock, but I loved it instantly and it opened my eyes to the fact that Fleetwood Mac had been a much more interesting band before 'Tango in the night' came out. It wasn't until then I realised that Albatross was theirs too. It was one of those songs I'd often hear playing on Radio 1 in Medium Wave in the kitchen as my mum was cooking dinner on a Sunday afternoon and as a kid it epitomised everything I hated about Sundays - being stuck indoors, the rain, crap on TV (and radio), nothing to do, having to eat vegetables that had been boiled to within an inch of their existence. Amazing that I eventually came to love this track.

Seeing this post gave me a good excuse to dig out the vinyl copy I picked up for £1 about 2 years ago at a car boot sale, and as much as I dislike compilations, I'm giving this an 8 just because of the quality of the songs. It's a bit disjointed as you'd expect from the vast majority of compilations, and there's some nasty edits in there - How dare you fade out 'Need your love so bad' so abruptly, but it captures a band that are completely comfortable with what they are doing and it's just great to hear Peter Green's voice.
    Rich

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by lovejoy View Post
    My first contribution to the album club thread having not long found it (observant me ;-)).

This album brings back some memories. I grew up knowing Fleetwood Mac as the pop band it is today. It wasn't until my final year at school that a friend of mine who was getting very good at the guitar played me 'need your love so bad' and it came as a bit of a shock, but I loved it instantly and it opened my eyes to the fact that Fleetwood Mac had been a much more interesting band before 'Tango in the night' came out. It wasn't until then I realised that Albatross was theirs too. It was one of those songs I'd often hear playing on Radio 1 in Medium Wave in the kitchen as my mum was cooking dinner on a Sunday afternoon and as a kid it epitomised everything I hated about Sundays - being stuck indoors, the rain, crap on TV (and radio), nothing to do, having to eat vegetables that had been boiled to within an inch of their existence. Amazing that I eventually came to love this track.

Seeing this post gave me a good excuse to dig out the vinyl copy I picked up for £1 about 2 years ago at a car boot sale, and as much as I dislike compilations, I'm giving this an 8 just because of the quality of the songs. It's a bit disjointed as you'd expect from the vast majority of compilations, and there's some nasty edits in there - How dare you fade out 'Need your love so bad' so abruptly, but it captures a band that are completely comfortable with what they are doing and it's just great to hear Peter Green's voice.
    It's good to know there are the slightly younger ones getting to know the original Fleetwood Mac.
    The compilation gives a clue to the broad spectrum of the band's abilities, which is very broad and each member brings something different to the band.
    Always worth digging out some of there other LPs.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by lovejoy View Post

Excellent post Richard. Exactly the reason the Album Club was set up: to remind members of some of the albums they may have, or to introduce albums to those that may have not heard them.
    Barry

I'm Grant.

Well one of the classic blues albums of its day and still up there with anything since tbh. Love all the tracks; need your love, black magic woman and Believe My Time Ain't Long are my favorites, plus you get the iconic "Albatross" as a bonus........... lots of variations of the album so excuse me if some of the tracks are different....10/10
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Well one of the classic blues albums of its day and still up there with anything since tbh. Love all the tracks; need your love, black magic woman and Believe My Time Ain't Long are my favorites, plus you get the iconic "Albatross" as a bonus........... lots of variations of the album so excuse me if some of the tracks are different....10/10

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast