+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Long Dog in my Technics

I'm Steve.

Thumbs up Long Dog in my Technics

In an attempt to clear some of the fluffy little clouds in my ever decreasing mind the need for stimulation took hold a few weeks ago following a visit to Progmeister towers by fellow AOS member Rich. He brought with him his 1210 with a Long Dog Audio power supply fitted. Mmmm! velly intellesting! I was intrigued. Iv'e had a 1210 tucked away for a couple of years that i drag out now and again for 45 rpm duties. NEBO 5 was a revolution to me with regards to Technics 1210's when i got the chance to hear Marco's. It pains me to say it but it did blow me away.
    Given that i already have numerous turntables and my main turntable being an elaborate belt drive i didn't wish to spend o fortune on my 1210 though speaking to Rich and listening to his i realized that surgery was imminent. I acquired said Long Dog Audio step one power supply for my aging spinner and started.

I have to admit that the instructions weren't the best and i struggled to understand them. It was only when Rich emailed me some pictures of his 1210 mods that i fully understood what i was to do. Once i had cut the first two cables and dispensing with the mains cable i was on a roll and it was shit or bust! I then began slashing away like William Wallace until the removal of all unwanted components had been removed and discarded. At this stage i was sweating like a rapist and worried that i had bloomin well broken the dashed thing. However, once i had implanted the first stage reg into the main body of the turntable and securing it with blue-tack i then placed the new cables securing one with velcro rap ready for soldering. I then secured the outgoing cable with the original plate minus it's gland and connecting it to the main off board PSU positioned on an accompanying rack. I then screwed the top back on. Phew!!! Lets switch the power on. Bingo, The platter it did spin and the lights they did come on much to my relief. I was gobsmacked at how deathly silent it was. An inky black platform with no horrible transformer noise or for the want of a better word gunge to be transfered to the cartridge via the stylus. My views on the outcome from a sonic point of view will have to be in the form of a part two. To say that the difference is well worth the money is an understatement at this early stage and i look forward to letting you know how things progress. There is no doubt that Nick Goram is a very clever individual who certainly knows a thing or two about improving classic hifi equipment and allowing them to enter another level my simply giving them a new heart. One constructive criticism i have is that the instructions could be clearer and a Youtube tutorial would be most welcome.

A massive thanks to Rich for his patience and guidance. He made everything clear.

I'm Rich.

Nice one Steve, told you it would be a doddle once you saw a pic or two.... looks like you made a tidier job of it than I did in mine too!

I also noticed the immediate quieter background and whilst I'm not by any stretch done with my mods yet, this was the most significant of them in terms of the impact on the sound.

Be interesting to hear how it develops for you.

R
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm John.

Good choice. I have a LD for my Teccy, Instant upgrade, lower noise floor and increased detail from bass to treble. Like it.

I'm Andrei.

Steve
    It is often the case that instructions are obscure. What is written makes perfect sense to the writer but is gobbledygook to the reader. Engineering and journalism are different professions alas. The situation probably won't improve any time soon though.

Apart from that I would affirm that a quality power supply is one of the most significant improvements one can make to a tecchie.
    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Sources:[/B] [B]1[/B][/COLOR] PC & Wyred4Sound DAC-2 DSDse   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]2[/B][/COLOR] Oppo BDP105   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]3[/B][/COLOR] Technics SL·1210 MK5 (Jelco 750D · Benz Wood).    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speaker Cable[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=black]Nordost Frey.[/COLOR]    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Interconnects [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Oyaide[/COLOR][COLOR=black] & [/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Geisha [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Silver.
    [/COLOR][B][COLOR=#a52a2a]Phono Stage [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=black]Fosgate Signature V2. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Preamp [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Ayon Eris[/COLOR][COLOR=black]. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Power Amp[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=Black]ATC P1. [/COLOR]  ​ [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speakers[/B][/COLOR] Triangle Magellan Cello.     [COLOR=#A9A9A9]Oh Sting, where is thy death?[/COLOR]

I'm keiron.

Quote Originally Posted by Floyddroid View Post
    I was gobsmacked at how deathly silent it was. An inky black platform with no horrible transformer noise or for the want of a better word gunge to be transfered to the cartridge via the stylus.
    I've never had a "standard" 1210. Mine came with the power supply already upgraded.

Are you saying that in stock form, there is background noise when your system is powered up but with no music playing?

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by keiron99 View Post
    I've never had a "standard" 1210. Mine came with the power supply already upgraded.

Are you saying that in stock form, there is background noise when your system is powered up but with no music playing?
    My experience of adding separate power supplies to both my Rega and Technics decks has been a quieter background to the music. It is a funny thing to try and describe a reduction in noise which you didn't notice until it's gone but that's how it worked both times I did it, that was the effect.
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm John.

The Long Dog (MCRU) replaced a Timestep PSU. Massive improvement with a perceived lower noise floor.

It's surprising what an improvement adding this was. My Tecchy was already very good but this is one of the best upgrades made (in the context of my system).

Last edited by prestonchipfryer; 17-05-2015 at 07:38. Reason: wording added

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by prestonchipfryer View Post
    The Long Dog (MCRU) replaced a Timestep PSU. Massive improvement with a perceived lower noise floor.

It's surprising what an improvement adding this was. My Tecchy was already very good but this is one of the best upgrades made (in the context of my system).

Is that the Burbank Fleetwood Mac, Rumours?

My System:

Turntable - Linn Sondek LP12, Kore, Lingo 4, Roksan NIMA, Lyra Delos Cartridge, Roksan HDC-03 arm lead, Trampolin 2 base, Tiger Paw Vulcan, Denon DCD-A110 Cd player, Tag Mclaren DAC20 Digital to Analogue Converter, SPM Interconnects, Nordost Red Dawn Leif Speaker cable, Spendor S3/5R2 Target R1 speaker Stands, Atacama ECO 60/40 hifi racks, Sennheiser HD565 Ovation headphones

I'm John.

Yes - well spotted.

[IMG][/IMG]

+ Reply to Thread