+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Prometheus

I'm Dave.

Default Prometheus

I was eagerly awaiting the TV showing of Prometheus last night. I did enjoy the film but thought it slightly disappointing and I was confused by the beginning.
    Who was the big guy standing by Victoria Falls, what was he doing there and what did he eat ? It, obviously, didn't agree with him but what was it all about ?

I'm Nodrog.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    I was eagerly awaiting the TV showing of Prometheus last night. I did enjoy the film but thought it slightly disappointing and I was confused by the beginning.
    Who was the big guy standing by Victoria Falls, what was he doing there and what did he eat ? It, obviously, didn't agree with him but what was it all about ?
    That was an engineer dissolving so his DNA could make us humans - obvious, come on Dave, keep up.

I have to say I enjoyed the film and found it a good link to how the whole thing started.

I'm Dave.

Oh right. Did it start with a timeline to give us a clue as to when ?

Why did the Engineers then decide to wipe us out ?

I'm Grant.

I was not impressed 1 iota, and thought it was Scott's worst film .....shows the beauty of us all being different etc. IE why some love Tannoys and other Don't
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    Oh right. Did it start with a timeline to give us a clue as to when ?

Why did the Engineers then decide to wipe us out ?

Because they could.

All our (and the main characters) "search for meaning" meant nothing in the face of an uncaring creator.
    That (for me) was Ridders' take on the "horror" aspect of the movie.

a Less visceral and elemental take than the original...or was it the sequel?...but the stuff with the Engineer vs the BIG face hugger was genuinely unsettling for me.

Kinda cool Scott didn't want to recycle something he had done before but have a different take on it...shows a set of cahonies.
    Arguably it didn't work, for me elements of the script were stupid and took me out of the movie, but it was a good effort. B-

More looking forward to Neill Blomkamp's take on Alien than Promethius 2 have to say though....
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Being a huge Alien and Scott fan, I was a little non-plussed when I saw it at the movies and I left feeling rather deflated. I have seen it a second time and I really enjoyed it, needs a third viewing I think now too.

There are errors in continuity with the Alien in the ship (time-line) but I can forgive him that. Try it again Dave if you can, like 'Inception' it's a movie I think you need to see more than once to really connect with and understand what he's (RS) tying to convey.
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Rich.

I took that they were going to wipe us out to clear up the mess from their experiments, one of which had gone badly wrong and led to their own devastation. Note the dead bodies they found with the chests burst open and the ghost things running away....
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm Nodrog.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    but the stuff with the Engineer vs the BIG face hugger was genuinely unsettling for me.
    i thought that creating the alien we all know and love from that joining was rather clever. The means of our creation together with the means of so many human deaths. Deeply meaningful and all that

I'm Geoff.

I found it pretty average really.

I got the impression the film was trying too hard and didn't quite get there.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Rich.

As a big RS fan, that was the 4th time I'd seen Prometheus and I'm still asking questions about it... I guess we're not meant to know for certain and that was a link in the film too... the girl with her cross and religion still believing in a creator.

I think Prometheus 2 will feature time travel in some way and that girl will find her engineers and poison their primordial goo stuff which is why they want to go back to earth and destroy us.

I've been captivated by the alien movies since i saw the first one when i was far too young, watched it through a gap in the living room door when my parents thought I'd gone to bed. I was terrified but I couldnt tell them why as then they'd know I'd sneaked out of bed and I'd have been in double trouble

That bloody thing was the cause of much nightmares for a young me, however by the time I got to my heavy metal teens the bedroom wall was covered in H.R. Giger pics... so much in fact that one of my girlfriends wouldn't go in there. Eventually realising the self defeating folly of this they were soon replaced with less terrifying stuff.

Didnt realise they were making a new Alien pic though, there was a franchise I thought didn't need a reboot...
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast