+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Small RPi/IQAudio DAC+ Review

I'm Josie.

Default Small RPi/IQAudio DAC+ Review

The IQAudio DAC+

Just thought I'd do a simple review of this DAC for you. I've now had it in my system for a couple of days now so here is my experience so far.

Setup:

I had recieved the Pi board with the SD card and PSU before I recieved the DAC+. So after I flashed the card with the Volumio image and plugged it in.

The setup with the IP address (via Ethernet cable first) with no hassle. My Router is a cheap one too and not very highly regarded.

Once that was done I entered Volumio via my web browser. Volumio popped up fine. I then plugged my music HDD in to the Pi and off it went updating.

The Wifi connection was next. With the Ethernet still connected I plugged the dongle in to the Pi and entered the network section of Volumio. I set it up with the password etc and rebooted it. It did take a little while to see the router but it eventually did.

With the Ethernet cable now disconnected I could now control the Pi perfectly. On my Windows 7 laptop though I had to install Bonjour to get past the firewall.

When the DAC+ arrived there was only a couple of things to setup in Volumio at first. Namely setting Volumio to work with the IQAudio Dac+.

Audio quality of the IQAudio DAC+

From out of the box with the Pi the dac fitted together in the IQAudio case very well. Although there was a small snap-off tag left on the PCB which hindered the fitment to the Pi a little but it squeezed in fine. The standoffs fitted fine too and made both boards nice and rigid.

Sound wise. With an A/B comparison to a TEAC D700 (with twin TDA 1541A S1 chips) it's a much more natural sound. The image is superb with no real overly hot areas in the sound, it's very much a tamed down sort of sound that doesn't lose it's drive. A very well separated sound which is very much like vinyl.

The IQAudio Dac has a much smoother sound that gels the sound stage together very nicely. It's also much easier to hear the most minuscule of detail of the high frequency that other dacs seem to brush over. A much more refined and detailed sound.

Regarding mids. These are much smoother, less shouty and presented in the image like a perfectly finished jig-saw. With that the sound stage seems much more coherent and understandable. The stage isn't wider but much easier to see.

Now the bass. The TDA1541 DAC is a lovely dac and for bass it's one of the best even today but only if it's designed and implemented correctly. The IQAudio DAC+ presents the same weight of bass but with less flab... that might sound funny to you but it's true. It's again much more coherent and focused which makes it more tuneful and easy to follow.

In all I'm very happy with the IQAudio DAC+ and it's a keeper.

Notes to other potential converts:

This needs some quality time to set up. There are lot's of information out there to guide you through.

I used this guide: http://theaudiostandard.net/thread/1...audio-streamer (Thanks guys)

I was glad that I set my Pi up before the board arrived actually... it gave me some quality time to get the network sorted beforehand so I'd recommend that. Makes things much easier as impatience can get the better of some.

You will need to download Putty if your using windows.

Once you set it up there are other small tweeks to do in Volumio and in Alsamixer.

Once your set up and running you can explore better PSU's and fiddle with cables to your heart's content.

Don't rush... it's not a plug n play thing. If you get stuck then just ask for guidance. It will be worth it.
    Last edited by The Black Adder; 09-05-2015 at 14:29.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm Neal.

Nice write up Jo, my initial thoughts tie in nicely with yours. The balance is very even, it has great detail and insight plus Bass tunes are easier to follow vs my TDA DAC...it's a good 'un!
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'm Rich.

Thanks Jo, I'm setting mine up as I write. All helpful mate.
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm Gareth.

Nice write-up, thanks.

Quick tip: To avoid seting up Volumio to work with the IQAudio DAC+ simply download the image from their website:

http://www.iqaudio.com/downloads/

I didn't do this initially and couldn't figure out why I wasn't getting any sound from the DAC. But reformatting and rewriting the SD card with the IQAudio Volumio image fixed it.

I'm Alan.

Nice write up thanks I have been ignoring the RPi stuff but it sounds like time I got interested in it

What Dac chip is in the IQAudio?

Anyone have any opinion on the Audiophonics PI + Saber Dac
    http://www.audiophonics.fr/en/kits-m...2s-p-9341.html

Alan
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

I'm Josie.

Thanks guys.

No idea what dac chip is in it... very happy with it though.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm Neal.

DAC Chip: PCM5122

I'm Josie.

Cool.

Still very happy with the PiIQDac combo...

I am finding however that the volume is best around 90-95 when fed in to my pre. With the volume around 86 there simply isn't enough drive it seems. Not tried it direct in to the amp yet, so that could be interesting.

As for resampling I've had a very good play with the settings and I'm inclined to say that the sound is best (most natural) with the resampling turned off and the rate converter set to 'best'.

From experience, does anyone have any other tweaks I could try? Is there anything else in alsamixer I wonder?
    Last edited by The Black Adder; 13-05-2015 at 09:31.

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm Neal.

If resampling is off then the rate converter would have no effect?

I'm Josie.

yeah, I just left if on that.

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast