+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: FS: Trans-fi Terminator T3Pro

I'm Richard.

And I'm nervously waiting for someone to come along and prove I'm talking rubbish. Again.
    ABD.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    Whoever has purchased the arm on this for sale thread I'm sure has a bargain as the full new price of the arm is a huge bargain already considering it's performance.
    Twas me

I will be using the arm on a Palmer 2.5 turntable which is currently fitted with an SME IV and a Koetsu Black Goldline.

I already have some experience with air bearing tone arms of the angle slider variety, having made one myself based on Ladergaards design. I had it mounted on a Garrard 401. I made the brass knife edge bearing parts myself on a CNC lathe.

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by disarmamant View Post
    Twas me

I will be using the arm on a Palmer 2.5 turntable which is currently fitted with an SME IV and a Koetsu Black Goldline.

I already have some experience with air bearing tone arms of the angle slider variety, having made one myself based on Ladergaards design. I had it mounted on a Garrard 401. I made the brass knife edge bearing parts myself on a CNC lathe.

Hi Martin, it sounds like you're very well equipped to get the best out of the arm. I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

Cheers,

Clive
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

I'm Martin.

Hi Martin, it sounds like you're very well equipped to get the best out of the arm. I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

Cheers,

Clive
    Thanks Clive - I'm looking forward to trying it out. I'm sure it will be better engineered than my home made effort. As you probably know keeping it level is a challenge

I'm Richard.

As you probably know keeping it level is a challenge
    That was my worry with the Oracle.
    ABD.

I'm Clive.

Thanks Clive - I'm looking forward to trying it out. I'm sure it will be better engineered than my home made effort. As you probably know keeping it level is a challenge
    I too started out with a pure Ladergaard which was tricky to level. I run my system in my cellar, the 1906 floor only has a thin skim of concrete which results in the deck moving fractionally due to temp and humidity. With the T3Pro the level adjustments are very quick and easy to achieve. To make it even easier I use a very accurate round bubble level on the manifold; when checking the specs of these things I found their accuracy/sensitivity can vary by a factor of 10.
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side

I'm Martin.

I run my system in my cellar, the 1906 floor only has a thin skim of concrete which results in the deck moving fractionally due to temp and humidity.
    I found humidity to be a factor in keeping my Ladergaard level on the 401. The DIY plinth was laminated birch ply, and the base of the Ladergaard arm Ash wood. The plinth and/or the arm base would move very slightly depending on (what I put it down to be) the humidity. I could find no other explanation for it periodically going out of level.

I'm hoping it's going to be easier on the Palmer with the easier level adjustment of the TP3, although the plinth is also laminated ply, so I may find a similar problem.

I'm Clive.

I found humidity to be a factor in keeping my Ladergaard level on the 401. The DIY plinth was laminated birch ply, and the base of the Ladergaard arm Ash wood. The plinth and/or the arm base would move very slightly depending on (what I put it down to be) the humidity. I could find no other explanation for it periodically going out of level.

I'm hoping it's going to be easier on the Palmer with the easier level adjustment of the TP3, although the plinth is also laminated ply, so I may find a similar problem.
    i did use birch ply for my 301 originally but have only used slate since then. Hopefully you'll find with the T3P the same as I do in that I only need to re-level every 4 to 6 weeks. At least the arm is made of aluminium so that is one culprit removed.

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by awkwardbydesign View Post
    That was my worry with the Oracle.
    Richard, I don't believe levelness would be a problem traversing a single record, as you'll have seen it's more of a medium term tweak which can need attending to.

I'm Sam.

Quote Originally Posted by awkwardbydesign View Post
    Not if the playing weight is zero. Remember, the counterweight goes in the opposite direction. And at 1.8gm (my playing weight) that's all that changes position.
    Ok... I know what you're saying.

Perhaps what I'm thinking about is not necessarily the cog and so how the suspension is balanced but where the masses (the cart at one end and the counterweight at the other) are positioned in relation to the springs and their axis of perfect bounce set-up. Again, not about actually tilting the suspension but about perfect bounce set-up on a suspended deck. But I guess you could say that about changing from 180gm vinyl to some wafer thin thing from the 80s.. and who really adjusts VTA for every record in reality? Probably going to cause more sound change than anything balance related.

Ignore me, just thinking out loud and not thinking about it for very long at a time either

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456