+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Weird/ confused!!!

I'm Tim.

Default Weird/ confused!!!

I really dont know where to start.

Using my Audiolab CD player through my Emile KI40L..it starts to distort...both channels.....OK the amp has had recent service..and this is related to previous problems.....so clean bill of health. OK removed CD player used my sons Rega..no problems...OK..tried CD player, again started to distort awfully....Creative audio advised me to do the factory restore setting...turn power off, hold for/back, then power on..etc..etc..ok..then played CD..after 20 mi .started to distort...

Here is the interesting bit..removed Emile...placed Icon audio amp..AUdiolab works fine..

Also when distortion happens, checked all biasing...all ok....

I just dont get it..The emile is not human..it is a machine..it should just accept the signal that is going through it....The whole thing is becoming confusing...is it the amp..is it the CD player....

I hope that there is some kind person who can help me out...
    Tim

I'm Geoff.

Sounds like input overload Tim, which is strange if you didn't get it before.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Tim.

ok, the rega CD works fine..perhaps the Audiolab is over loading ????????
    Tim

I'm Geoff.

Did you use the Audiolab player with the Emile before?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Shane.

His Audiolab CD Player is something like 2.5V output.

S.

I'm Sam.

I must admit I was confused reading the post! Stream of conciousness almost, missing a little context... Where does the human bit come in??!

If I understood correctly - that the Emile integrated amp distorts when playing a CD through it and both CD players are fine as shown by using a different amp, but that the distortion only comes in on the Emile amp after some time - then it just sounds like distortion caused by something that is effected by the operating temperature of the amp, e.g. a dry solder joint or a failing leg joint on a component like a capacitor or resistor.

That the disortion is on both channels at once, I'd suspect it to do with the power supply or anything common to both channels.

I am no technical expert though and am doing nothing than applying logic to a tiny amount of knowledge of electronics and hifi....

I'm Sam.

Quote Originally Posted by lonergan2468 View Post
    OK removed CD player used my sons Rega..no problems...OK..tried CD player, again started to distort awfully....
    Aren't you saying here that the Rega distorted on a second try out of it?

When you say "started to distort" does that mean after a while or instantly and how long after the Emile has been turned on/warmed up? "Started to distort" implies to me that it at first didn't distort and then gradually began too, perhaps getting worse as time went on..

I'm Neil.

Definitely sounds like an input overload. An attenuator would solve it but this isn't an ideal solution. Done a check and its 2.8 which is quiet a bit over what the industry standard should be which is 2.

Regards Neil

I'm Sam.

What happens if you have both the Audiolab and the Rega both plugged in on different inputs at the same time and switch between the two?

How about the left channel of the Audiolab plugged in to the left channel of your usual CD input and the right channel of the Rega in the right channel of your usual CD input? If it's definately about the Audiolab then left channel will be distorted whilst the right will be fine.. Hopefully the emile has a balance control to make things easier to test.

EDIT: I see it has dual volume controls so is very easy to test!

I'm Alan.

If your Audiolab works fine though your Icon then it sounds like the Emille is at fault, recent service or no.

I think the input to the Emille runs directly to the volume control, so you shouldn't have an overload problem with the control adjusted for normal listening level.

Alan
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast