+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 117 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Deaf Row!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Now the bad news. Just unpacked a box that arrived today. Yes, it's another GL75 turntable. I warned the seller that they have a very fragile polystyrene lid that breaks easily, that should be removed and packed separately and that the platter should also be taken off, wrapped and placed under the plinth for transit. He obviously thought different. It has a busted lid, the platter is still attached, which luckily has not caused damage, but the bias weight had gone walkies. Dozy bastard. I'll be wanting some money back, maybe all of it. If he was in front of me I'd probably bust his hooter!!
    Finally got this resolved. I opened an eBay return claim against the seller. I knew he wouldn't want it back after seeing the photos of damage and I wanted to keep it really, as it's OK mechanically and cosmetically. After a bit of to and fro arguing he caved in and refunded £40 towards a new lid and bias weight. So sorted. Phew!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Geoff.

Well now. The corroded and battered GL75 now looks like this:

A stripped top plate and bags of bits!

Trickiest job was removing the silver trim/name plate at the front. I now have to decide what openings to keep and which to fill in and how. I may weld the arm aperture and recut one, depending on how the intended arm aligns.

Then the whole top plate will be rubbed down for painting. I've decided to go with a cream finish and a dark walnut veneered solid base with internal damping via dried coarse sand in cavities (if there's enough room for them).
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

Sounds like a plan Geoff if your good are light welding....not my forte lol. Arc yes but fancy stuff nope!

Like the cream idea. Saw one done that way and it was super
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

If I get the welder out, I may add some bracing strips across the underside of the top plate where there's space. Fortunately I have another complete GL75, so I can check positioning. I may fill in open areas between the bracing with a particular glass fibre mix I've in mind. Could be that using the MIG may be best, rather than the ordinary arc welder. Don't want heat causing localised buckling.

Yes. I decided on cream 'cos I want a 'vintage' look about the completed TT. Already bought the enamel & lacquer. I may even finish the platter the same.

I'm Grant.

Cream platter and black rubber looks great...id deffo use a mig or tig welder.. The arc may as yoy say buckle it...might even blow holes in it depending. Never got enough shots of wire welders to get the technique right but was handy with the arc. It will look great i think when finished
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

I'm certainly not the world's greatest welder, but usually manage a passable end result. Last job I did was patching the sill in my old VW Golf a couple of years ago.

Just remembered. I was considering putting some extra support at and around the main bearing mounting hole. I don't want to affect the fixing height, so maybe a large washer welded on the top of the plate and longer fixing bolts. It'll have to clear the bottom of the platter, could be tricky with a GL78 platter (I also have) which has the extended bronze bearing . I believe a few owners have done similar. I'll investigate.

I'm Geoff.

I had a change of plan. The apertures for the GL75 top plate won't be welded up. I'm cutting brass inserts and soldering them in. Lower temperatures, so less likelihood of buckling. Plenty strong enough too.

I found some brass plate exactly the right thickness. Here's the armhole insert cut out and dropped in place:

Here it is along with the armlift hole blanks cut and soldered in.

Seems to be working out as planned. I'll plug the armlifter lever and armrest holes tomorrow. Then it's just a surface fill and smooth, followed by the new arm mount cut out. Must get that positioned exactly. It'll be an SME mount type opening.

I'm Grant.

Nicely done mate.... Trickier job than it looks to do right
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Brian.

That's very nice work Geoff . As grant says , trickier than it looks .
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Geoff.

It'll look better when I've done the rest and cleaned it all up.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 117 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast