+ Reply to Thread
Page 75 of 117 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785 ... LastLast

Thread: Deaf Row!

I'm Geoff.

Hmm. I'll have to sit down with pencil & paper today and work out the cabinet design for the forthcoming speakers.

I have some basic driver parameters to work with and will come up with something suitable. At the moment I'm debating on the choice between a quarter wave constant width acoustic column or tapered transmission line. The acoustic column has some advantages, but is larger.

I'm also wondering whether to go for pre-veneered board or plain and do my own veneering. I'll probably go with the latter. (no, I don't want to use a piano lacquer finish, I can do it, but it takes ages)
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

usually think the pre done stuff can chip and your left with an issue, while doing it at end you'll get a better job
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    usually think the pre done stuff can chip and your left with an issue, while doing it at end you'll get a better job
    You're right Grant. I have used both in the past.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

You could go with the Capel design.

I wasn't keen on the frugelhorns, I'd avoid that one personally.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Alex.

This should be a link to the Hi Fi News Paraline design constructional details.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/416792...57706136862634
    Spendorman

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    You could go with the Capel design
    Never heard of that. Link?

I'm Martin.

I don't have a link and I can't find any reference to it on the internet either which is odd. It was a transmission line using a full range racetrack driver designed by VJ Capel - the plans were in those little books you used to be able to buy from electronics shops. When there were electronics shops.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

Oooh. What's this part of? I think it has Pass 2.0 written on it somewhere .

On its way from the far east. Will have to wait a little while for it to get here.

Has three switchable output levels. Could be handy.

I'm Shane.

Geoff's second hand Hi-Fi store is coming folks. It's called 'Grumps Hi-Fi'

S.
    Shane Lonergan.

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I just heard from my best mate.

He bought one of the aforementioned TPA3116 mini amps after hearing mine in my system.

The amps he already owns are an EAR 861, Monarchy Audio SM-70 Pro and Creek Destiny 2. He finds the Destiny 2 superior to the EAR and SM-70 Pro when driving his Tannoys. However, he has declared the TPA3116 unit "embarrassingly good" and the equal of the Creek in his system. Like myself, he has now ordered a second one. They are that impressive!!

If you own moderately sensitive speakers you really deserve to hear what these little things can do and at around £25 including power supply, why not give it a go?
    I can believe it! It is embarrassingly good. I thought I might try one for myself, so ordered one on the fly for £19.99 inc postage from China.

Didn’t really have a chance to listen until I plonked an old NUC system power supply into it and plugged in the Allo Boss and MS 400’s expecting a fairly ‘meh’ sound.

Even on the short listen (30 mins) to a variety of ‘usual suspects’ tracks, it is astonishing value.

Enough to make me want to explore routing more sources through it.

Wondering what would be the least expensive/disruptive option to connect more than one source, a simple RCA switch box maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A mainly digital setup with a musical amplifier and endearing 1970's speakers. A CD player that hardly ever gets used and a turntable that is good enough to remind my how enjoyable my old vinyl is. Some cables and things.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 75 of 117 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785 ... LastLast