+ Reply to Thread
Page 76 of 117 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886 ... LastLast

Thread: Deaf Row!

I'm gone.

Hmm, interesting, those 3116 chip amps.
    I've just ordered a Breeze Audio one. £17.22 . Be interesting to compare it to an Amptastic Mini-T.
    Last edited by jandl100; 12-02-2019 at 09:52.

I'm Geoff.

Yes, it is a remarkable little amp Tony. I'm using mine all the time and all my bigger 'fancier' amps are sidelined at the moment.

I'm sure you could locate an RCA/phono switching box to provide more inputs.

If anybody else is interested, here's the Breeze Audio branded one: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silver-HI...EKJ:rk:33:pf:0

And here is the power supply I use: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/96W-Unive...53.m1438.l2649 This may need a UK kettle lead. I use mine on the minimum 12v setting.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Yes, it is a remarkable little amp Tony. I'm using mine all the time and all my bigger 'fancier' amps are sidelined at the moment.

I'm sure you could locate an RCA/phono switching box to provide more inputs.

If anybody else is interested, here's the Breeze Audio branded one: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silver-HI...EKJ:rk:33:pf:0

And here is the power supply I use: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/96W-Unive...53.m1438.l2649 This may need a UK kettle lead. I use mine on the minimum 12v setting.
    I have the same type power supply, it's OK, but it's power efficiency is not as good as some others, mine gets a bit warm in use, the one I prefer is a genuine Toshiba 19V laptop unit. This unit runs much cooler.
    Spendorman

I'm Geoff.

Going by the bench test for the amp 19v is a little higher than I'd want to use, in any case the one I bought seems just fine with it when set at 12v.

I have got a beefier 12v power supply somewhere that I may try with it.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Going by the bench test for the amp 19v is a little higher than I'd want to use, in any case the one I bought seems just fine with it when set at 12v.

I have got a beefier 12v power supply somewhere that I may try with it.
    From memory! the TPA3116 is OK up to 24V, I've used mine at that voltage. You won't get much power output at 12V and 8 Ohms.
    Spendorman

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Hmm, interesting, those 3116 chip amps.
    I've just ordered a Breeze Audio one. £17.22 . Be interesting to compare it to an Amptastic Mini-T.
    I've a 15V Linear PSU going spare - would that be OK for it, Geoff?

I'm Alex.

It's just as well to check the power supply capacitors on the TPA3116 board for voltage rating. Some boards used capacitors that were not really rated high enough.
    Spendorman

I'm Alex.

From Texas Instruments site

tpa3116 by A60man, on Flickr
    Spendorman

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by spendorman View Post
    From memory! the TPA3116 is OK up to 24V, I've used mine at that voltage. You won't get much power output at 12V and 8 Ohms.
    It's the modest heat dissipation of the small heatsink in the amp that could be an issue with higher voltages.

See the benchtest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6WkVSr_Hn8

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    I've a 15V Linear PSU going spare - would that be OK for it, Geoff?
    Should be fine. See benchtest above.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 76 of 117 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886 ... LastLast