+ Reply to Thread
Page 99 of 117 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101109 ... LastLast

Thread: Deaf Row!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    nearly bought some a few times just out of curiosity. On paper they should be good. Maybe they could have used a tweeter and leave the BMR as a midrange driver? There would still be the benefit of the low crossover point.
    That would obviously work, but sort of defeats the point. In any case, I've heard many two way speakers with crossover points in the supposedly 'critical' 2kHz to 4kHz region that sounded perfectly well integrated and seamless. I don't do three way speakers, never heard any I liked (apart from the old Spendor S100).

Last edited by walpurgis; 24-02-2021 at 09:22.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Unlike these, which will be staying.

Monitor Audio R852 MD. Arrived yesterday and sounding rather good. I'm familiar with these, heard them before and liked them a lot. They will get a rub down and re-finish, as somebody has tried to stain them in the past, We'll soon sort that!
    id have another pair of these myself if i spot any local,i also owned the 952's as well.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by karma67 View Post
    id have another pair of these myself if i spot any local.
    I remember you owning them Jamie and discussing them with you.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by karma67 View Post
    i also owned the 952's as well.
    I did notice the tweeter you have for sale .

I'm jamie.

Lol, It would probably go in the 852 as well
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    nearly bought some a few times just out of curiosity. On paper they should be good. Maybe they could have used a tweeter and leave the BMR as a midrange driver? There would still be the benefit of the low crossover point.
    I had the floorstanders. I also thought the BMR lacked some extension up top, if they had it roll off naturally to a supertweeter with maybe a second order high pass filter it would have sounded better.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    That would obviously work, but sort of defeats the point. In any case, I've heard many two way speakers with crossover points in the supposedly 'critical' 2kHz to 4kHz region that sounded perfectly well integrated and seamless. I don't do three way speakers, never heard any I liked (apart from the old Spendor S100).

See my last post, would you have a 2.5 way, (but with extra supertweeter a la DM2a rather than low bass driver)?

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    See my last post, would you have a 2.5 way, (but with extra supertweeter a la DM2a rather than low bass driver)?
    Well being pedantic, the DM2 is not exactly a 2.5 way speaker, it's a two way with top end assistance via the supertweeter.

2.5 way speakers normally utilise two similar main drivers, one rolling off early and one continuing upwards to cover the mids too, and crossing over to a tweeter above that.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    I had the floorstanders. I also thought the BMR lacked some extension up top, if they had it roll off naturally to a supertweeter with maybe a second order high pass filter it would have sounded better.

That's my thought but I've not heard them so only a guess, lack of top end extension can result in an uninvolving sound.

I was looking at off the shelf BMR drivers a few years back but they all have very poor power handling. Like 2 watts. The ones Cambridge use you couldn't buy.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

Had a few days to get familiarised with the R852's. I have to say, I rather like these. They're not the ultimate obviously, but if you'd bought new speakers for say £800 that sounded this good you wouldn't feel robbed.

+ Reply to Thread