+ Reply to Thread
Page 112 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1262102110111112113114 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,120 of 1166

Thread: Deaf Row!

I'm Grant.

dunno what speakers it was made to match initially, but the 306 can sound very good.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    dunno what speakers it was made to match initially, but the 306 can sound very good.
    well the 303 was intended for the ESL speaker as transistorised replacement for the QUAD II. I suppose the 306 with a bit more power was just a logical development from that.

In the 1980s typical partnering speaker at that level of budget would be 8 ohm nominal, fairly flat impedance trace, no crazy phase shifts, so not really a tough load. Nowadays you see even little bookshelf speakers having 3 ohm or less in the bass, lots of amplifiers will sound sub-optimal or even bad driving that load.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    ESL63 I believe. The 306 came into production before Quad offered dynamic speakers as I recall. It apparently also works well with the original ESL57.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Geoff.

Been having a rummage, seems I have at least 25 Japanese horn tweeters knocking about (not to mention a bunch of dome units too).

The silver ones will probably be sold, but the black ones are a favourite as they sound terrific, despite being a comparatively cheap tweeter at the time! They were sold in the UK during the seventies and known as Eagle CT10 units, but are really the Coral 2H-10 model.

I'll be trying a set with the KEFs, should be fun!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Lawrence.

Pretty sure I sold or gave away on here a pair just like the Corals but with no name on the back. I've found another pair of horn tweeters to give away in the new year, I just want postage.

I'm Geoff.

Strange things horn tweeters. They seem to either sound horrible or wonderful with no middle ground.

I'm Geoff.

Tweeter tweaking.

Played around with a variety of tweeters from my collection and at the moment using the KEFs with a pair of BMR units. They are freestanding and not on baffles, but crossing over at 3kHz this seems to work OK. Very smooth and clean with no audible phasing or integration issues.

All is not done yet, but this is rather promising.

I'm Grant.

sweet little tweet
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

More junk!

Akai AT-K02L AM/FM/LW tuner in reasonable cosmetic condition (for some reason I keep getting it into my head that it's a JVC? Senility maybe )

ebay seller was a bit naughty for not mentioning that it had no feet and not showing an underside view. All metal and ridiculously heavy for a tuner, thought I'd been sent an amp until I opened the box, it sounds wonderful! Very sensitive too. Very nice.

images upload

And,

A pair of TDL RTL2 floorstanding speakers. They sound rather nice, better than anticipated and they seem dead easy to drive. A few marks here and there and one tweeter dome was well pushed in, sorted with careful use of a hot air gun to soften the doped fabric dome and a vacuum cleaner to gently suck it back into shape. Working just fine and I've ordered some Declon foam to replace what was missing from the bass ports. Like the tuner they need feet, soon to be sorted.

With a little work all the above should turn out pretty good. Not bad going for 36 quid for the lot!

I'm Grant.

should triple your money on speakers alone
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread