+ Reply to Thread
Page 116 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1666106114115116117 LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,160 of 1166

Thread: Deaf Row!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    i see they are still making pdu's etc..

https://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/prod...w.ds&gclsrc=ds
    Yes, I've had Olson on my ebay watchlist for a couple of years and those crop up often.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    It's been a long time since I owned an amplifier with a friction locked dual volume pot .
    Removes the need for a 'balance' control. It's a neat idea.
    Barry

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    i see they are still making pdu's etc..

https://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/prod...w.ds&gclsrc=ds
    Are you sure it is the same company? I have a couple of their 13A socket distribution units and they are made in the UK.
    Barry

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Are you sure it is the same company? I have a couple of their 13A socket distribution units and they are made in the UK.
    yup afaik anyway. they started in about 1961 working from home. they made various things but are now big in pdu's and sell a lot to the nhs and for servers.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Just messing about.

I've got a bunch of decent full range drive units that have not been used, so I'm doing a quick evaluation by mounting them in spare cabinets on temporary baffles, with some wadding added. I'm mainly listening for general tonal character and top end definition. No, I'm not doing anything 'by the book' here, but it'll give me an idea.

First up, 5.5 inch Chinese 8 ohm Aucharm units. These are very nicely built and finished, on a par with Coral and Fostex. They sound very punchy and clear, you'd not guess you were listening to such small units, no top end nasties at all either. Seem easy enough to drive, I think sensitivity is around 90db (I have the details somewhere).

I'll be trying 5.5 inch Canon units later, they should be nice too, I've used them before.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Geoff.

Now the Canon drivers. Used by Canon in their own branded speaker systems, quite probably from Taiwan or similar. These are actually 5.25 inch units and barely cover the baffle aperture.

Nowhere near as detailed or vibrant as the Aucharm units, less bass too. Can't really grumble though, I picked these up for a song ages back.

They go back into storage I think. I may have an idea for using them, I built two pairs into big folded horns years ago and that worked very well.

Next, some vintage Eagle/Coral 6.5 inch 16 ohm extended range speaker units, not twin cone. I'll do 'em later.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Now the Canon drivers. Used by Canon in their own branded speaker systems, quite probably from Taiwan or similar. These are actually 5.25 inch units and barely cover the baffle aperture.

Nowhere near as detailed or vibrant as the Aucharm units, less bass too. Can't really grumble though, I picked these up for a song ages back.

They go back into storage I think. I may have an idea for using them, I built two pairs into big folded horns years ago and that worked very well.

Next, some vintage Eagle/Coral 6.5 inch 16 ohm extended range speaker units, not twin cone. I'll do 'em later.
    probably the same unit used in the old S35? https://www.stereophile.com/standlou...non/index.html

Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    probably the same unit used in the old S35?
    I believe it may be.

I'm Geoff.

Now playing with the old 6.5 inch Eagle/Coral drivers. I first had a pair of these around 1972, the twin cone version, marketed as the FR65, wish I'd kept them. They are single cone, extended range units with long throw doped fabric roll cone surrounds and are from the DL67 speakers system, I have a few 8 ohm pairs but these are the only 16 ohm ones which date from around 1968. Sounding extremely good, with no colorations standing out, firm and fast with good treble and detail. Could be the best tried out so far.

I'm Geoff.

Playing a bit of classical through these now. Ina Boyle, Symphony No.1 "Glencree", sounds lovely. Great timbre, depth and detail, good weight too. I haven't even lagged the boxes properly or tuned the bass yet. Very nice.

+ Reply to Thread