+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 45 years old tape

I'm Alex.

Default 45 years old tape

Here is 2min 37 sec sample I've digitized from a reel recorded in 1964. The sample is a zipped WAV, 96 kHz 24 bit, 85 Mb in size. The tape was played back on the SONY TC-765 from 1977, that is sitting on my bench right now. Thankfully I have a very strong bench as this machine weights 27.5 kg (ouch!) . An amazing recorder, thought.

Alex

And you can listen on the Sound Hi fi stand at the show later this month, on the actual Sony TC-765

Regards

Dave

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Dave,

Any news on those bloody 103SA's yet?

Get yer man at Denon to confirm an ETA. Jeez, mate, you're too soft with these 'farter-abouters' - I wouldn't put up with it if it was my business!

Otherwise, there'll definitely be something missing on your stand...

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Alex.

At the moment my website is intermittent, hopefully my provider will sort it out soon. Apologies to people trying to download the sample - please try again later. Probably too many analogue sound fanatics on-line .

Alex

UPDATE: website issue has been resolved, should be OK to download now.
    Last edited by Alex Nikitin; 07-09-2009 at 14:40.

Smile

Marco, I'm sincerely flattered that you think I might have such influence over a production line in Tokyo, unfortunately for both of us I don't. They are now saying December, perhaps for the review only you would loan your cartridge?

Regards

Dave

I'm Alex.

A bit on-topic. Here is a small album of pictures about TC-765, including its frequency responses at 7.5 ips and 3.75 ips.

Alex

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Marco, I'm sincerely flattered that you think I might have such influence over a production line in Tokyo, unfortunately for both of us I don't. They are now saying December, perhaps for the review only you would loan your cartridge?
    No worries, Dave.

December????????? I'm not getting at you, but that's quite frankly shocking service! {Shakes head in disbelief}

One of my pet hates in life is being told by suppliers that such-and-such will be in on X, and then it doesn't arrive... I give them hell when that happens!!

Why the feck give a date in the first place if they can't guarantee it? They should just say 'it'll arrive when it arrives' and be done with it. Personally, I think they're spinning you a load of bull.

Anyway............... I'll have a think about using my cartridge. This review thing is turning into a bit of a nightmare.

Have you spoken with David about it? PM me, mate, as I don't want to hijack Alex's thread any further - sorry, Alex!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

What recording chain did you use for the transcription, Alex ?
    I thought it sounded bloody good - any chance of some more ?

Chris

I'm Confused.

Hi Chris,
    I tried several times last night to download this file and got stalled after 1 sec and 122 Mb each time. Any chance you could e-mail or PM me a copy?
    Cheers,
    DaveK.

My System:
    Power: Belkin PF40, Custom.hifi.cables Hydra and DC PSUs.
    Sources: Self built HTPC with Xonar ST sound card, NAD T585 multi disc player, Sony BDP-S350, Squeezebox Touch, Techncs SL1210 (mod'd) + Nagaoka MP30, Thomson Sky HD box.
    Amps etc.: 2 x Mini-T amps, MF-X10D Valve buffer clone, StanDAC 7520/Caiman (mod'd).
    Speakers: Mission 774s with added super tweeters
    Cables: best I can afford and likely to change except Homar's RF attenuated co-ax's and Mark Grant USB and HDMI cables. I also like silver i/cs and speaker cable.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
    Hi Chris,
    I tried several times last night to download this file and got stalled after 1 sec and 122 Mb each time. Any chance you could e-mail or PM me a copy?
    Cheers,
    Dave

You are joking I hope - the file size is 84.1 meg in its' compressed state

My ISP don't allow me emails of more than 5 meg, yours will probably be the same.

Unfortunately you'll have to try the download route again - it took me 2 attempts before I could get a file that would unzip.

Chris

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast