+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Live Albums

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    Im not a fan of commercially released live albums for a number of reasons. One being they never capture the actual atmosphere of the venue like a booty recording would.
    You mean sounding as though someone has recorded it with a portable cassette recorder at the bar, where you can hear the conversation of those around the recordist better than you can hear the group or artist(s) on stage?

Modern live recordings are so much better than they were in the '70s - no more endless audience applause and rapture; no more badly positioned mics; no more lousy mixing ....., and IMO they do now capture the atmosphere and acoustic of the performance and venue.
    Barry

I'm Phil.

"Bursting Out" - Jethro Tull.

Just the best non-Zappa live album ever.

I'm Graeme.

P.J. Harvey - "Europe 1993"

but it's a bootleg. Recorded live at the Forum in London in June 1993, I was in the audience that night, and the recording does capture the atmosphere. Sounds like it was captured at the mixing desk :-) Her cover of Highway 61 revisited is particularly memorable.

I'm givingyouaprettygoodclue.

Three at random.

Oasis "Noel Gets To the Point" Soundboard
    One of those gigs (Dublin Point, hence the title) where the younger brother didn't show so England's greatest busker did the vocals and nailed it.

Led Zeppelin "Electric Magic Over Dallas" Soundboard
    Really up for it performance, albeit with occasionally distorted vocals, and a better live version of "Communication Breakdown" than any of the commercial releases IMHO. More than one version down the years though.

Propaganda "Rock City, Nottingham 30-10-85" Audience
    Just because I was there.

Being a realist, 90% of boots are for information only, but I could keep this list going for a month. Look how many soundboards or FM broadcasts are now becoming part of re-released / deluxe editions of commercial albums nowadays.

Pete

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    Im not a fan of commercially released live albums for a number of reasons. One being they never capture the actual atmosphere of the venue like a booty recording would.
    l sort of agree Andre' however having heard and enjoyed;

'Humble Pie Performance rockin' the Fillmore',

Atmosphere is easily captures- 'l don't need no doctor!'
    System; Michell Gyrodec SE/ Orbe Clamp/ Gert Pedersen armboard mod/ HR PSU/ SME V / J7 Tonearm cable/Ortofon Cadenza Black// Jez Arkless Turbo nutter B------ /Trichord Dino+

Amplification and loudspeaker set up is at the moment being split into two groups, comprising the following;

1. Same sources as above; SONY TAF-770ES/SONY CDP761E/Cable Talk 3.1 loudspeakercable/ Harbeth Compact7ES2/ Stands

2. Virtue Audio Sensation M451battery PSU, ClarityCaps upgrade/ Sensation M901/Russian PIO caps with Teflon bypass caps upgrade/ JT Dynamic PSU with various tweaks/ Connex Audio 5N Litz loudspeaker cable, Impulse H6 Loudspeakers.

Me so horny- Impulse H6 Horny

I'm givingyouaprettygoodclue.

Following this afternoon's session, two more:

The Prodigy "The Extacy Of Violence". From the Pink Pop Festival in 1996, this one's a soundboard capturing them on the cusp of "The Fat Of the Land" as one of the best live draws of the past 20 years. Not perfect (the bass is quite polite whereas seeing them outdoors the land rumbles like a fracking experiment) but it helped to fill the surprisingly long gap before an official live set. Maxim is on the prowl in fill effect.

Julian Cope "Live At Glastonbury 2003". Possibly from a broadcast. Acoustic set with bags of between song banter, almost "An audience with...Julian Cope." Spontaneous sounding, as live music should be.

I could go on...

Pete

I'm Josie.

Nauwty, Nauwty...!

Nice one... I've seen the Prodigy a couple of times over the years.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm Josie.

Quote Originally Posted by Desmo View Post
    P.J. Harvey - "Europe 1993"

but it's a bootleg. Recorded live at the Forum in London in June 1993, I was in the audience that night, and the recording does capture the atmosphere. Sounds like it was captured at the mixing desk :-) Her cover of Highway 61 revisited is particularly memorable.
    Cool.. Seen Polly quite a few times... love her. Amazing live...
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm Michael.

I think The Grateful Dead may have a few live recordings.
    Michael
    AT33PTG/II> VPI Scout> Lehman Black Cube Statment> Jolida BR202> Martian Logan Motion 40> My happy ear.

I'm Doug.

Listened just this morning to "Johnny Winter And Live". I grew up with this album and it's still a favorite. One of the loosest performances I've ever heard, but not sloppy. Well, not _too_ sloppy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast