+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: A bit of help with my vinyl set-up

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Your phono stage just has a lower output than your DAC. Nothing to be concerned about.

If by surface noise you mean vinyl 'roar' that is vinyl nothing you can do about it. It's one of the reasons they invented digital playback If it's noise like crackles and pops and general rustling of crud in the groove then get your records cleaned will fix it. Or it could be tape hiss if it is an analogue recording. Loads on some of them. Nothing you can do about that on either medium.

But why do I only notice this with certain albums??

The new phono stage is a Heed Quasar, which has high and low outputs and other adjustments, so maybe that will help.

I'm Martin.

Depends on the cause. if it is only some records could be they need a clean.

Or could be you are hearing pick-up from the studio. I have some records like that where they have recorded live or semi live and you get the environmental noise bleeding in through the various mikes.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Richard.

Depends on the cause. if it is only some records could be they need a clean.

Or could be you are hearing pick-up from the studio. I have some records like that where they have recorded live or semi live and you get the environmental noise bleeding in through the various mikes.

The record is very clean, I've recently got a good deal on a VPI record cleaner.
    I expect a little surface noise, I can't even have this record on loud, the volume control won't go up that far.

I'm Martin.

Is this a particular recording we are talking about then?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Richard.

Is this a particular recording we are talking about then?

I'll have to check it out, I'm sure it's more than just this album. I've not had a listen to vinyl for couple of weeks while I get the set-up sorted out. I'll have a check later.

I'm Richard.

I managed to suss out what was wrong, the bearing. I've only changed it to a genuine Technics one, but it seems to have done the job. The vinyl replay is now better than the digital.
    I made the discovery by mistake, I tried the 1210 on without a record on full volume on the amp a couple of days back and heard a noise similar to a bump you here when you play a warped record. I just assumed it was the bearing, which I thought was an easy fix. The new bearing's in but the bump noise is still there and it's even there when the platter isn't on.......I know, should have checked that before :-)
    Anyway, the bump noise isn't affecting the music quality..........me making the mistake of assuming the noise was the bearing has sorted the sound quality out.

I should say, thanks for everyone's help.

I'm Richard.

I should also add the bumping noise was caused by homeplugs.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234