+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: IanMac Bearing

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Ah, I see that Chris has beaten me to it!

Yup, as they say, ditch the 'bull' and just cut to the chase....

Marco.
    Yup. If I had chosen my amplifier on how it meassured in a lab, I would probably not have bought a 22 watt single ended triode. It may not meassure as well as a solid state, but boy does a class A SET amp sound great!!

Turntable 1: Technics SL1210M5G/ KAB PSU/ KAB Fluid Damper
    Turntable 2: Rega P3 (new) Tangospinner & dual belt/ Rega Neo
    Amplifier: Rega Elex-R
    RIAA: Rega Fono mk3 & Schiit Mani
    Speaker: Klipsch RP280f
    Cartridge: Rega Exact & Nagaoka MP-110

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive197 View Post
    Good question. I would very much like to know the answer to that. Forget graphs and statistics because you can get any answer you want from them. Does one sound better than the other? If music be the food of love, play on.......... Oh heck I'm waffling.
    It is a good question - but good answers are so hard. Tell you what - I'll tell you it sounds better than the MNB to me. How does that help you? Especially if (say) Macca says it doesnt sound as good to him. It just tells you different people like different stuff. Which is borne out by the fact that more than one turntable, arm, cartridge, amplifier, speaker exists and is chosen by people at any price point you can think of. Good for a chin-wag - not much help "telling you anything"

I'm Chris.

Can you please tell how you find it better than MNB?

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldpinkman View Post
    It is a good question - but good answers are so hard. Tell you what - I'll tell you it sounds better than the MNB to me. How does that help you? Especially if (say) Macca says it doesnt sound as good to him. It just tells you different people like different stuff. Which is borne out by the fact that more than one turntable, arm, cartridge, amplifier, speaker exists and is chosen by people at any price point you can think of. Good for a chin-wag - not much help "telling you anything"
    Yes, but that's what a forum is for: DISCUSSION, by like-minded enthusiasts, sharing their respective experiences. What else would you propose?

Of course, at the end of the day, someone posting that they think something is brilliant is ultimately going to be of most relevance to them. However, it could also be relevant to others, simply from the point of view of having their interest piqued in a particular product, by an enthusiastic and positive review.

That's exactly what's happening with my current eulogising of the RPi/IQ-Audio DAC. Folk have read what I've written about it, tried it themselves, used their own ears, and have found that they too think it's superb, which is the WHOLE POINT (and why forums such as this exist). Quoting largely meaningless measurements play no useful part in that process.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisKemp View Post
    Can you please tell how you find it better than MNB?
    I'm afraid not Chris. And I am NOT saying that. It was hypothetical.

But in the same way I can't tell you how this weeks Camembert smells better than last weeks. And whatever I described you wouldnt be smelling it.

So if you want to know what Technics bearings sound like, you'll have to do as Marco says and use your own nostrils!

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    Who knows - The Funk bearing may sound better.
    To be honest, I think it will be difficult to tell the difference between all of the bearings unless each is measured.
    Who knows? It might be. However, the only way that most folk would be convinced by that would be doing a direct comparison with all other bearings available, on the same T/T and in the same system, and listening to the results, not by looking at a series of graphs on a computer screen.

Thing is, how practical or even possible do you think that would be to do? The reality is that one just has to take a punt on buying whichever bearing, in our considered opinion, 'ticks the right boxes' (or what we can afford), and then live with our choice and just enjoy the music!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldpinkman View Post
    I'm afraid not Chris. And I am NOT saying that. It was hypothetical.

But in the same way I can't tell you how this weeks Camembert smells better than last weeks. And whatever I described you wouldnt be smelling it.

So if you want to know what Technics bearings sound like, you'll have to do as Marco says and use your own nostrils!
    I get you I thought you had directly compared the two bearings. Well, as many say; it's great that we can have several alternative bearings to chose from. That way the 1200/1210 will keep on living and they who are not willing to pay the amount for a Mike New bearing have other alternatives. Designwise I would still call MNB the high end of Technics bearings and the other an affordable upgrade from the standard My Mike New Bearing is staying unless the Funk bearing proves alot better.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisKemp View Post
    Well, as many say; it's great that we can have several alternative bearings to chose from. That way the 1200/1210 will keep on living and they who are not willing to pay the amount for a Mike New bearing have other alternatives.
    Spot on, Chris!

And that is precisely why AoS will always give its full support to BOTH Ian and Mike New. The important thing here is to keep the modded Technics ALIVE, and thus provide audio enthusiasts and music lovers, who value getting the biggest 'bang for their buck,' the ability to have that with a turntable which is very able to deliver on that principle.

For that reason, AoS will always do whatever it can to ensure that the modded Technics T/T (like Ariston) goes on and on and on.........

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Richard.

Regarding a boring measurement I have the platter and bearing for Cagey on a filing cabinet to measure the spin time. Not terribly precise because I have to spin by hand fast, and wait for it to slow to the point where I get one revolution every 2 seconds (timed on an iphone) and then set the timer until it halts. Average of 3 was 72 seconds from 33rpm (estimated)

Of course, that is a strata platter with bonded achromat on it - no LP. I'm sure Cagey can run some better tests, including listening ones when I get it out to him

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    I think it will be difficult to tell the difference between all of the bearings unless each is measured.
    Which leads directly to the opinion that I'm starting to form which is that (although there may indeed be measurable differences in the amount of noise produced by each bearing) the difference in the amount of noise that can actually reach the record groove and subsequently become audible is in fact........none.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast