+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: IanMac Bearing

I'm Jeff.

well my Ianmac bearing is now in my deck and spinning away nicely..

First of all I've got to say that Ian's engineering skills are amazing, really excellent quality.

It's probably too early to judge the sound difference as its a brand new bearing so needs to run in.

But saying that, if I'm not mistaken I'd say that the Bass is tighter and more accurate, taken away some woolyness.

Vocals seem a bit more forward in the mix.

At the moment I'm thinking its possibly made it a bit too clinical for me, but as I say I need to give it time to run in..

I'd certainly be interested to hear what changes other users have found ??
    Technics Sl1210 mk2. MCRU Linear Power Supply Step 2, Funk Firm Achromat, Isonoe Isolation Feet, Kab Tone Arm Damper, Kab arm rewiring kit, Kab Litz RCA wiring, Ortofon Concorde DJ S with Stylus 30, IanMac bearing.
    LFD MMO Phono Stage. Rega Elex-R Integrated Amp.Rega RS7 Speakers, TNT FFRC Speaker Cable. Nessie Vinyl Master RCM ( to take the misery out of record cleaning )
    Rega Dac.

I'm Michiel.

I've received the bearing this weekend and indeed, it's beautifully machined! Very nice work. Yesterday I cleaned it from the supplied oil and reoiled it.

Just a few hours ago I installed the bearing and let it run for an hour or two. After that I couldn't resist to take an initial listen First impressions are: background is more quiet, more 'black' so to speak, soundstage had opened up a bit and instruments seem to have better definition. Bass is indeed tighter. Just as Jeff put it, it has taken away some woolyness. Can't say I feel it has become clinical, more like "opened up".

Well, that's it for the moment. Now let's give it time to run in...
    Turntable Technics SL-1210mk2, Origin Live modified OL1 tonearm, Van Den Hul rewire, LDA/MCRU Step 2 PSU, Ianmac bearing, Isonoes, Achromat, Clearaudio Twister
    Cartridge Audio Technica AT33PTG II
    Tape Technics RS-AZ6
    SACD Sony SCD-XB790QS
    Ampification Accuphase E-205
    Speakers Dali Ikon 6 Special Edition
    Sub REL Strata II
    Cables Van Den Hul: MCS-150M and D-502 Hybrid (Tonearm), Integration Hybrid (SACD, Tape), CS-122 Hybrid (Speakers), The Second (currently unused). Canare: 4S8 (Sub)

I'm Jeff.

Forget I said "clinical", Im not the best at describing sound

Its sounding good, Im pleased with the improvement.

And its a much better design than the original.

I think Ian is going to be a busy man !
    Technics Sl1210 mk2. MCRU Linear Power Supply Step 2, Funk Firm Achromat, Isonoe Isolation Feet, Kab Tone Arm Damper, Kab arm rewiring kit, Kab Litz RCA wiring, Ortofon Concorde DJ S with Stylus 30, IanMac bearing.
    LFD MMO Phono Stage. Rega Elex-R Integrated Amp.Rega RS7 Speakers, TNT FFRC Speaker Cable. Nessie Vinyl Master RCM ( to take the misery out of record cleaning )
    Rega Dac.

I'm Nathan.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Wood View Post
    well my Ianmac bearing is now in my deck and spinning away nicely..

First of all I've got to say that Ian's engineering skills are amazing, really excellent quality.
    I'm beginning to wish I had taken a few pics before I installed mine I do concur with the improvements you've heard. I'm a very happy camper with mine. Ian,
    We the willing, working for the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful.
    We have done so much for so long with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

I'm Jeff.

Ive noticed a massive change now its run in a bit, bass is much more controlled, definitely a more lively presentation, more enjoyable to listen to to.

I would never never have believed that a bearing change would make this kind of difference to be honest.

I think for the price Ian has been charging it's a no brainer to buy one.

Pity Ian didn't have this bearing available 30 years ago, he'd be a millionaire !, every club and every DJ in the world would one in their Technics,,,,
    Rega Dac.

I'm Packgrog.

Anyone able to provide stock vs. mod bearing recordings to help those of us struggling with indecision and financial concerns? Some actual evidence of the changes would be a tremendous help.
    Analog: VPI Scout Jr. | Phoenix Engineering Falcon PSU | DIY tach | Funk Firm Achromat | Michell Clamp | AT33PTG/II | Musical Surroundings Nova Phonomena | T.C. Electronic Desktop Konnekt 6 | Sonix IV ST136H Ultrasonic Cleaner | Okki Nokki Record Cleaning Machine

Digital: iBasso D14

Headphones: Lawton-modded Denon AH-D2000

I'm Jeff.

just buy one

I'm sure in the unlikely event you didn't like it, you could easily sell it on..
    Rega Dac.

I'm Packgrog.

Just to be clear that I'm not just being lazy, cheap, and asking for something that I would not be willing to do myself if funds allowed, here's a thread where I shared matching recordings from both my Technics and TecnoDec using the same arm and cartridge: http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.p...-sound.736730/

My goal is to close the sound quality gap between the two decks. I've done far too much blind-buy gear experimentation over the years, and also got hit with an unusually expensive couple of months (new mattress and bed frame, new tires, wedding anniversary expenses, wife changing jobs and drastically reducing our income, etc.). So as reasonably priced as Ian's bearing is, especially given the current exchange rates, I'm wary of straining my finances further on this experiment without some evidence of what it can do in practice.
    Analog: VPI Scout Jr. | Phoenix Engineering Falcon PSU | DIY tach | Funk Firm Achromat | Michell Clamp | AT33PTG/II | Musical Surroundings Nova Phonomena | T.C. Electronic Desktop Konnekt 6 | Sonix IV ST136H Ultrasonic Cleaner | Okki Nokki Record Cleaning Machine

I'm Packgrog.

And now a $1000 plumbing bill, with the spectre of another $1000+ in a few months. Yeah, "just buy one" doesn't really work right now. I'd gladly help with listening tests, audio file editing, whatever, but funds are definitely NOT available for a while. God dammit.

I'm Nathan.

Quote Originally Posted by Packgrog View Post
    And now a $1000 plumbing bill, with the spectre of another $1000+ in a few months. Yeah, "just buy one" doesn't really work right now. I'd gladly help with listening tests, audio file editing, whatever, but funds are definitely NOT available for a while. God dammit.
    Crikey mate, I hope you get plenty of time to enjoy what you've already got so you can keep your sanity intact.
    We the willing, working for the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful.
    We have done so much for so long with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast