+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Your most worthwhile upgrade/cost

I'm Dave.

Good call Neil. It's amazing how much of a difference small free tweaks can make.
    I'd been putting up with a slight mains hum from my right speaker for a few weeks that seemed to appear after I'd tidied up my wiring. I decided to try and track down the problem this weekend and I noticed that my source equipment was plugged into a socket on the right hand wall and my amps were plugged into a socket on the left hand wall. So I simply re-jigged the power extension blocks so they were both plugged into the same double socket on the left hand wall to see if that helped. No more hum! So that proves it's best to keep all your system connected to the same ground point, which I'd forgotten about.
    Source: Apple TV 4K - DAC: Beresford Bushmaster Mk II - Preamp: CI AudioPLC-1 Mk II - Power Amps: Musical Fidelity 550K mono blocks - Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 3 - Cables: Mark Grant etc - Misc: Belkin PF30 mains filters.

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
    £5 op-amps is the sort of thing we want on this thread!
    Well, I did interpret the wording accurately

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by HighFidelityGuy View Post
    Good call Neil. It's amazing how much of a difference small free tweaks can make.
    I'd been putting up with a slight mains hum from my right speaker for a few weeks that seemed to appear after I'd tidied up my wiring. I decided to try and track down the problem this weekend and I noticed that my source equipment was plugged into a socket on the right hand wall and my amps were plugged into a socket on the left hand wall. So I simply re-jigged the power extension blocks so they were both plugged into the same double socket on the left hand wall to see if that helped. No more hum! So that proves it's best to keep all your system connected to the same ground point, which I'd forgotten about.

Yes, attention to detail. No matter how small or large if you do it right, you will maximise your systems performance and get every once of sound you have worked so hard for over the years. It is a scary thought, at all the money spent on systems that are never realized fully sound wise, because the system is set up badly or not at all why bother ?

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678