+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Funk Firm's new Strata platter and "spin" bearing

I'm Chris.

Where are the pictures of this bearing and platter??

Turntable 1: Technics SL1210M5G/ KAB PSU/ KAB Fluid Damper
    Turntable 2: Rega P3 (new) Tangospinner & dual belt/ Rega Neo
    Amplifier: Rega Elex-R
    RIAA: Rega Fono mk3 & Schiit Mani
    Speaker: Klipsch RP280f
    Cartridge: Rega Exact & Nagaoka MP-110

I'm Richard.

I don't have any platter pictures atm, but it is similar to the ones in the archive - without the white lettering. I'll try to put a bearing picture up, but I am fighting with photobucket and really short of time today.

However - regarding pricing, in spite of what it says on the web site (still a work in progress) the price of the platter has been reduced. I have been suggesting to Arthur for some time that he split out the Technics mods business from his mainstream business which sells through dealers and distributors - since there is no real benefit in using a dealer for modification products, at least, not in the UK, and arguably not in the EU. I got an email this morning confirming that he will try that approach

So the platter is £480 not £820 and the bearing is £420. Anyone interested in an FX3 - they are £1589 (full retail - because the product is sold through distibutors and dealers). Carbon fibre arm board for FX3 on the Technics is £76 (or use whatever rega mount tickles your fancy. All prices inc VAT but carriage will be an additional charge, and product will be direct from Funk.

I will try to post a picture of spin (the bearing)

I should be getting a platter and bearing out to Cagey to have a play with, just in case I ever get to buy a house out there, and can invite myself round again for another "cote de boeuf" barbecue So he can let you know what he thinks on his Techie. Although it is a shop-soiled ex-dem (well prototype platter really) it should be full production spec, and working this time!!!

I'm Chris.

Thank you Great price on the platter too. Looking forward to some pics and comparing the bearing/ platter to the MNB and ETP. I have a MNB but not a platter yet. Maybe I'll go for the new Funk instead og the ETP

I'm Richard.

The Funk "spin" bearing

[IMG][/IMG]

And for good measure, the funk strata platter I am taking out to Cagey

[IMG][/IMG]

Now - don't say I never do anything for you Chris!!

I'm Chris.

Wow they both look great!! Is that the way the platter looks or does it have the Funkplatter on top?

And thank you for the pics

I'm Richard.

The platter is supplied with an Achromat bonded to it, included in the price. It is an integral unit - you can't get the strata and hub without the bonded achromat. The design relies on the composite nature of the bonded glass and bonded mat. The photo is of the "rig" I was spin testing to get a spin down time of 72 seconds from 33rpm (estimated)

I'm not sure -does that answer your question?

I'm Chris.

Yes it does and it looks really good. It seems to look a little more eksklusive than the ETP (glass vs plastic). But can one use this platter with MNB?

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisKemp View Post
    Yes it does and it looks really good. It seems to look a little more eksklusive than the ETP (glass vs plastic). But can one use this platter with MNB?
    Ah - good question. When I have a crash helmet to hand, I'll check. Kevin will also doubtless be able to answer the question shortly. For now - I believe so. The issue was (if you enjoy a good laugh, read back in the archives - the platter wars), the issue was that the MN bearing is not externally identical to a Technics, and although it fits the standard Technics platter, it didn't fit the funk platter (which did also fit the technics bearing). I think AK has resolved this, and the new hub is MN friendly - although he did puff and blow a bit about why other manufacturers started making their product custom fit. Anyway - no point in going over all that again. I think it fits. I am going to smuggle it out to Cagey on Saturday, so he'll soon be able to tell you for sure.

I'm Kevin.

See you tomorrow.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    See you tomorrow.
    Hub and spin packed in camera bag. That bloody platters a lump though in its box. I may leave the packing behind and put it deep in among my clothes for padding. See you at Blagnac

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast