+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New cartridge

I'm Matthew.

Default New cartridge

I've had my RP3/Elys 2 combination virtually since launch nearly 5 years ago and its coming up to replacement time for the well used Elys 2. I'm seriously considering simply going for a new Elys 2, but would be interested in hearing other's thoughts on alternatives first. I use the phono stage in my Brio-R and have no plans to change any aspect of my amplification or, once they have arrived, my RS1 speakers.
    Pioneer PL12D II * Audio Technica AT95e * Denon DCD720ae * Yamaha YBA-11 * Yamaha A-S501 * Dynaudio DM2/6 * Beyer Dynamic DT770PRO

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

My own take is to firstly investigate the Exact 2. Well worth the extra and a far better cartridge all round, despite looking similar on the outside. Failing that, the ever-popular Denon DL110 seems to be collecting new friends and modern production techniques have kept it fairly competitive. I also think Rega may have tweaked the Elys 2 again in recent times, but I'm afraid it's not a favourite with me, so please forgive my lack of enthusiasm for this one.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt78 View Post
    I've had my RP3/Elys 2 combination virtually since launch nearly 5 years ago and its coming up to replacement time for the well used Elys 2. I'm seriously considering simply going for a new Elys 2, but would be interested in hearing other's thoughts on alternatives first. I use the phono stage in my Brio-R and have no plans to change any aspect of my amplification or, once they have arrived, my RS1 speakers.
    Whats your budget? Denon dl 110 is a good mc high oput so fine with an mm stage. I am using an at95 cart with an imported jico shibata stylus, and it is way better for similar money.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Matthew.

Budget is relatively limited. An Elys 2 is 125 pounds these days. The big thing that is slightly putting me off this is the fact that I'd prefer to have a cartridge that I can simply renew the stylus on rather than having to change the whole thing every few years. I've thought about Nagaoka, AT, Grado, and Ortofon as alternatives but I'm not really sure which way to turn.
    Pioneer PL12D II * Audio Technica AT95e * Denon DCD720ae * Yamaha YBA-11 * Yamaha A-S501 * Dynaudio DM2/6 * Beyer Dynamic DT770PRO

I'm Tom.

I really liked my AT440MLa. Until I bent it!

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

The Elys has such a pronounced sonic 'flavour' that most alternatives will sound too different to take first off - in my experience and as an owner still of a mk1 Elys.

The Sumiko Pearl is fun and similar price, and should bring back memories of it's long departed cousin, the Rega R100, which was mechanically similar I think - big and beefy presentation. The Ortofon 2M Blue is a fussy, prissy thing and I'm not sure you'd like it, although the 2M bronze will be better in every way - it LOVES Rega decks! The AT120E also wouldn't fully satisfy here I think, because it only seems to sonically come together in very low mass tonearms in my experience and the 440MLa is strong on hf presentation.

I have to say that Rega HAVE improved their cartridges steadily over the years (suspension tweaks etc.) and the current Elys I'm sure will be better than the one you have. If you're very careful not to over-tighten, you can change it yourself, but a good long-standing Rega dealer worth their salt should also give the whole deck a service as part of the cartridge fitting - checking for dried motor and main bearing lubricant, slack nuts etc. (oo-er missus ) - I certainly used to.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Charlie.

At that money, you could also consider an Ortofon 2M Red or Blue, an AT 440 MLA or a Nagaoka MP110. All would be good choices.

I'm Geoff.

One thing to bear in mind. Rega cartridges have a low height in comparison to most other makes. If you try another cartridge make, you may have to raise the arm height and I'm not sure if there's any adjustment on the RP3 without using spacers
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread