+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Another new Direct Drive TT

I'm Kevin.

Default Another new Direct Drive TT

http://www.uk.onkyo.com/en/products/cp-1050-122093.html

And this time it's from Onkyo - the CP-1050. A catchy name.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Hmm. The spec isn't very good for traditional W&F and rumble and the cartridge looks like yet another variant on the tried and trusted AT91 and siblings. Depends on the price though and the actual performance may exceed the specs handsomely for all I know.

£400 rrp...
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Hugo.

Is this another Hanpin OEM product? I have heard (from someone who knows about such things) that these OEM drive mechanisms can be made to be rather good, with the right application, so it may not matter if its innards are similar to the recent crop of Technics clones.

I'm Matthew.

Certainly has a Hanpin arm by the looks of it. I do think 400 pounds is excessive for this sort of deck when you can get a Rega RP1 Performance Pack or a Pro-ject Debut Carbon for less. I'll be surprised if anyone manages to come up with a DD which manages to be anywhere near as impressively engineered as the Technics ones, and I would think that even if Panasonic ever see fit to resurrect the 1210, they'll price it in at least the high hundreds to make it viable.
    Pioneer PL12D II * Audio Technica AT95e * Denon DCD720ae * Yamaha YBA-11 * Yamaha A-S501 * Dynaudio DM2/6 * Beyer Dynamic DT770PRO

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt78 View Post
    Certainly has a Hanpin arm by the looks of it. I do think 400 pounds is excessive for this sort of deck when you can get a Rega RP1 Performance Pack or a Pro-ject Debut Carbon for less. I'll be surprised if anyone manages to come up with a DD which manages to be anywhere near as impressively engineered as the Technics ones, and I would think that even if Panasonic ever see fit to resurrect the 1210, they'll price it in at least the high hundreds to make it viable.
    The Technics SL-12xx is in a very special TT, yes. But I'll be surprised if this Onkyo don't beat the crap of a Rega RP-1. The Rega is a hyped TT imo, and always fail to impress me. Even the RP-8 and RP-10 does not impress me.

Turntable 1: Technics SL1210M5G/ KAB PSU/ KAB Fluid Damper
    Turntable 2: Rega P3 (new) Tangospinner & dual belt/ Rega Neo
    Amplifier: Rega Elex-R
    RIAA: Rega Fono mk3 & Schiit Mani
    Speaker: Klipsch RP280f
    Cartridge: Rega Exact & Nagaoka MP-110

+ Reply to Thread