+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: An old newcomer

I'm Eric.

Default An old newcomer

Hi there to all you Art Of Sound lovers out there.

After an early life working as a radio and TV engineer (we weren't called technicians in those days ) having an absolute ball working with kit such as Radford/Leak/Rogers/Trio/Ferrograph/B&O/Cambridge/Armstrong/Goodmans/Tannoy/Wharfedale/Garrard etc... in the late 60's / early 70's when I owned a Leak Stereo 30, Troughline tuner, Garrard 301, Decca London arm and ffss cartridge, Sony TC377 and Wharfedale Dentons - yes, even they sounded pretty good in a smallish room.
    Anyway, fast forward best part of half a century and I'm still enjoying a fair old bit of the vinyl I bought back then, as well as a fair few reel to reel tapes and audio cassettes!

This really is an enduring and rewarding hobby

Present system - Garrad 401 / SME 3009 SII Imp / Shure V15 III - VN35MR / Technics SU 810 / Sony TC377 / Denon DR M3 / Technics SL-PG 320A / Technics RS-B40 / Quad 34 / Quad 405-2 / Senheiser HD 590 / B&W DM 602-S2 on Atalama SE6 stands.

I'm Geoff.

Hello Eric. Welcome to AOS.

An interesting intro. Sounds like you've been at this game at least as long as me. I've owned many of the bits you mention.

I'm sure your input will be valued. We have sections covering every aspect of Hi-Fi, so there are bound to be items of interest to you.

If you have any system changes or projects in hand, we'd like to hear about them and tell us what music you play.

There is a Gallery for equipment photos if you'd like to post some. They'd be welcome.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

Hi Eric.. Welcome aboard. Nice gear, and I was a tv engineer in the late 60's and 70's as well. Never kept it up though and went another way. Good to hear you stiil enjoy the hobby; thats in the end what its about
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Eric.

Hi Geoff,

Thanks for the welcome message - having taken a look at the place before I KNOW that I'm going to like it here!

Eric

I'm Eric.

Hi Grant,

Like you, I got out of TV in the late 70's - was fortunate enough to be in at the start with computers. One thing that didn't change - if it's black and got buttons, I want two!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Eric,

Welcome to AoS! Where's Ightfield?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Grant.

Ah yes Eric I meant to ask you to put your county down as most folk won't have heard of your hometown ..We like everyone to know where we all are. It makes life easier.
    T h a n k s
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Eric.

Hi Marco,

Oh come on - you've never heard of Ightfield?

Sorry - North Shropshire just outside of Whitchurch.

I'm Dave.

Hi Eric, welcome to AOS.
    Kraken, Saturn, Emotion, Flying V Rocket, Planets.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Hi and welcome, from a bod who loved original Denton's back in the late 60's and who bought a pair a couple of years ago - they're surprisingly good actually 'cos they go wrong in all the right places where you don't notice unless you compare directly

Do you still do servicing, even as a part time thing? Loads of 1970's vintage kit now in need of a service by someone who knows how to set these things up, even if the caps are still alright...
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast