+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Balanced/Unbalanced Input/Output options on a TVC preamp

I'm CaughtBetweenTheDevilAndTheDeepBlueSea.

Default Balanced/Unbalanced Input/Output options on a TVC preamp

Hello All,

I'm committed to getting a TVC preamp from Music First Audio. However, I'm unsure of what inputs/outputs to specify. Due to space-constraints of the chosen enclosure, I'm restricted to having two inputs and two outputs on the unit, or 3 inputs and one output (which would presumably be RCA instead of XLR, as all my current power amps are single-ended designs, but I may get one with balanced inputs if there are sonic gains to be had). The options I'm considering are one of each (RCA/XLR) for outputs and inputs, or 2 RCA inputs + 1 XLR input to the RCA output. Some audio reviewers suggests that due to a buffering effect of the TVC preamp, noise from active sources would not carry over to the output. If that's the case, would it make balanced connections pointless, in this context?

I humbly await any relevant thoughts on the matter
    Last edited by PRYML; 26-03-2015 at 09:36. Reason: edited for clarity
    MALEK
    There is no way to happiness... Happiness is The Way...

I'm gordan.

a buffering effect of a TVC? never heard of that, on contrary - a TVC doesn't have a fixed output impedance, it always depends on a source.
    Gordan.
    Speakers: Oris Swing MkII
    Amps: Thomas Mayer 300b/ Hiraga La Maison de L'Audiophile 20
    Preamp: Silver AVC by eng. Ferenc Lazar
    Phono Preamp: Shishido LCR by Solaja Audio
    Decks: Garrard 301 Martin Bastin reworked/plinthed with Fidelity Research FR64fx
    Garrard 401 in eng Ferenc Lazar solid wenge plinth with SME 3012/2
    Cartridges: SPU Spirit/ Koetsu Black revisited by eng. Salai/ Miyajima Shilabe
    Step Up Transformers: Tango MCT 999/ Ortofon T-5000/ Lumiere SUT
    Digital: Shigaclone by eng. Ferenc Lazar with Lampizator Amber II
    Wires: of sufficient length

I'm Graeme.

Quote Originally Posted by PRYML View Post
    Hello All,

I'm committed to getting a TVC preamp from Music First Audio. However, I'm unsure of what inputs/outputs to specify. Due to space-constraints of the chosen enclosure, I'm restricted to having two inputs and two outputs on the unit, or 3 inputs and one output....
    How many inputs do you really need on your amp? That will surely influence the decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Desmo View Post
    How many inputs do you really need on your amp? That will surely influence the decision.
    I've a tube DAC on the way, that has both balanced and single-ended output options and I'm considering a power amp that also have both balanced and single-ended input options. Will having one balanced + two single-ended input with only one single-ended output make much sense? If I connect to a balanced input, the signal to the amp would be converted to singled-ended output; one of the single-ended input would be connected to a Flatscreen TV.

or...

Or have one of each type of input and one of each type of output; I'm assuming (wrongly?) that it might be worthwhile to go balanced all the way, with compatible components, with the assumption that balanced configuration sounds better than single-ended. But if my assumption is wrong, than there's no point in considering balanced output/input at all.
    MALEK

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by anubisgrau View Post
    a buffering effect of a TVC? never heard of that, on contrary - a TVC doesn't have a fixed output impedance, it always depends on a source.
    True. I think he means it can help isolate ground loops.
    Get what you need now for current equipment, then if you need to accommodate a different plug on future equipment, it is a trivial task to use adapters.
    Personally, I'd get a bigger enclosure if you need more inputs/outputs. The standard MFA has 4 inputs and two outputs, one of each being XLR.

I'm Phil.

great news . I am very fond of mfa having had quite a few . jonathan will guide you in your choices
    cable monkey on the hi fi wigwam site is also quite an expert in this area
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Bob.

Unbalanced is only required where long cable lengths are necessary. They invert one of the lines in order to reduce hum. The down side is they use extra circuitry so should be avoided wherever possible. Cable lengths of any quality phono lead up to three metres should be completely free of hum and therefore the weapon of choice.

Quote Originally Posted by cloth-ears View Post
    Unbalanced is only required where long cable lengths are necessary. They invert one of the lines in order to reduce hum. The down side is they use extra circuitry so should be avoided wherever possible. Cable lengths of any quality phono lead up to three metres should be completely free of hum and therefore the weapon of choice.

Hmm... Don't you mean that "Balanced" (instead of Unbalanced) is only required where long cable lengths are necessary, Bob?
    MALEK

In any case, I've already decided on the final configuration of my TVC unit

Thank you Everyone for your input. It has been a great help in cementing my final decision

I've already contacted Jonathan (Music First Audio) and eagerly await the fruition of our somewhat long (thanks to my ignorance and indecisiveness) correspondence
    MALEK

I'm Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by PRYML View Post
    Hmm... Don't you mean that "Balanced" (instead of Unbalanced) is only required where long cable lengths are necessary, Bob?
    Smart arse

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast