+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Front end first' - yes, but make sure you go right to the very front...

I'm Mike.

Hmmm ... sorry, but that does sound a bit scary to me. Some folks just aren't cumfy with that sort of thing.
    Jerry, what on Earth is scary about it? You have AT LEAST as much protection as you have on your ring main(s) as far as I can see. (normal circuit-breaker plus residual current device for earth aberrations)

You don't HAVE to dispense with the 13 amp. plugs, but this adds yet another 'bottleneck' which is surely superfluous when you consider the case fuses are well below that limit. I remember the old round-pin plugs (much favoured in the seventies/eighties as an upgrade) which didn't have fuses at all!

Jettison the case fuses. Now that's getting a bit scary, but there are people out there who think it's a risk worth taking. I suppose generating your own power or tapping in to your local hydro-electric plant (if you're a mountain man flat-Earther) might be beneficial, but simply having your own hifi circuit just doesn't stack up as a dangerous sport, I.M.O.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Interesting thread.I can see the value of lowering the supply impedance Marco,but the fact is that the electrickery arrives at your door after travelling down miles and miles of over and underground cables,through junction boxes,substations,transformers etc,picking up all sorts of RF and other crap and hash on the way.(maybe I should mention at this point that I'm a project manager for an electrical company that is involved with the high-voltage electricity supply industry) but I find it hard to credit that a 1 metre piece of expensive cable on the end of all this can make much,if any,difference.I can see how mains regenerators etc could improve matters somewhat,and also how lowering supply impedance could help,but installing a dedicated ring or spur for your system to avoid interference from household appliances seems a drop in the ocean to me.Having said all that,I've not heard an A/B comparison of a system with and without a dedicated supply,so would be happy to be proved wrong! It just seems to me to be like trying to stop the tide coming in with a bucket.

I really wouldn't recommend having no protective devices looking after your kit.Fire and hi-fi don't really mix...

Regards,Ali

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Ali,

I know exactly where you're coming from. "Why a 1 metre piece of expensive cable on the end of all this can make much, if any, difference" has been the subject of much forum debates over the years!

But make a difference it does - and a significant one at that. Some reasonable objective theories on why this happens have been mentioned. When the 'other thread' calms down I'll see if I can remember any of them!

But if what I'm doing has a measurable effect of lowering the impedance then I must be doing something right...

Separate spurs also noticeably improve the sound. Now and again I compare this effect by plugging my system into a wall socket (via a mains block) that's connected to the house ring main and then into my dedicated mains set-up using the same test music. The difference isn't subtle

Marco.

P.S Look forward to meeting you on Saturday
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm InSpace.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Earth rods plunged into my garden and connected to the dedicated consumer unit I use for my hi-fi; the difference that made was amazing in terms of how it lowered the impedance on my mains supply (particularly when kept wet) and the way in which this impacted on the performance of my system.
    Marco,

If you need to keep them wet by 'watering them', then I'm afraid you've not installed then correctly mate!

I'm guessing they've been 'hammered' into the soil vertically? If so, that's not the way to do it!

Best way (and no-one ever does this) is to dig a deep trench long enough for the rod to be buried horizontally. It needs to be deep enough for the soil to be permanently wet, or at least damp, and covered in a generous layer (all around the rod) of carbon. Crushed BBQ charcoal is excellent.
    Then refill the trench while seriously compacting the soil as you go. Viola! One very consistent earth!

Unfortunately it will still corrode away in time and need to be replaced.

It's a ball ache, but worth it.
    Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Interesting thread.I can see the value of lowering the supply impedance Marco,but the fact is that the electrickery arrives at your door after travelling down miles and miles of over and underground cables,through junction boxes,substations,transformers etc,picking up all sorts of RF and other crap and hash on the way.(maybe I should mention at this point that I'm a project manager for an electrical company that is involved with the high-voltage electricity supply industry) but I find it hard to credit that a 1 metre piece of expensive cable on the end of all this can make much,if any,difference.I can see how mains regenerators etc could improve matters somewhat,and also how lowering supply impedance could help,but installing a dedicated ring or spur for your system to avoid interference from household appliances seems a drop in the ocean to me.Having said all that,I've not heard an A/B comparison of a system with and without a dedicated supply,so would be happy to be proved wrong! It just seems to me to be like trying to stop the tide coming in with a bucket.

I really wouldn't recommend having no protective devices looking after your kit.Fire and hi-fi don't really mix...

Regards,Ali
    Please give this man a common sense medal!

It was Linn that persuaded everyone the source was the most important part of a system, when coincidentally, he was flogging a turntable. Before then everyone knew that Loudspeakers were the weakest link in the chain and they still are! Especially as we now have nice consistent digits to process.

LOL. What are you doing on this part of the forum? This is a subjectivist haven.

Heretics aren't allowed here!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Mike,

I take you're point, but if I'm getting a reading of .32 ohms impedance on my supply then I can't be going too far wrong!

It goes up quite considerably if I disconnect the decdicated Earth

Marco.
    Main System

I'm InSpace.

Marco,

S'ok mate, no-one installs them properly TBH. It's just another one of my little 'hobby horses', knocking em in vertically is just 'bad practise', the stories of them going through cables, drains, water pipes etc. are myriad. The worst of all has to be a sewer main, know one knows its happened for ages, maybe years, until one day your garden is awash with shi.... oh, you get the picture!

How are you measuring your earth impedance BTW?

Cheers,
    Mike.
    Shian7

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

Mike,

My local friendly electrician (who's a personal friend) has carried out the test on a few occasions throughout my 'journey' with the mains. He installed my current set-up. He's also very interested in hi-fi, which helps! Every time he affects an upgrade we measure the results - it's all very enlightening

I presume he uses a multi-meter of some description, or whatever else one would use to measure the impedance.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm InSpace.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I presume he uses a multi-meter of some description, or whatever else one would use to measure the impedance.
    That would be an 'earth loop impedance tester' normally. It's just that I've got one that you (or anyone else for that matter) can borrow if needed.

Cheers,
    Mike.
    Shian7

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

+ Reply to Thread