Question Oyaide MJ-12 or BR-12

I'm using a SL1210,
    Mike new bearing
    Oyaide MJ-12 mat
    BR-One underneath
    Oyaide Stablizer
    RB700 Rega
    AT-440MLA cart.

It sounds great but was wondering in the curvature of the Oyaide Mat is affecting azimuth? When I play mono LP's they sound perfectly centred even with headphones and everything sounds right. Am I worrying over nothing, the Rega arm has no adjustment for azimuth and I'd rather not use shims on the headshell.

Any thoughts.

I'm Andy.

Have you put a mini spirit level on your headshell to check for azimuth?

Is the sound pulling to one channel?

I use the Oyaide mats and have not noticed any problems.

If you are happy with the sound l would leave well alone.

Oh and the mat and weight look well cool.
    System; Michell Gyrodec SE/ Orbe Clamp/ Gert Pedersen armboard mod/ HR PSU/ SME V / J7 Tonearm cable/Ortofon Cadenza Black// Jez Arkless Turbo nutter B------ /Trichord Dino+

Amplification and loudspeaker set up is at the moment being split into two groups, comprising the following;

1. Same sources as above; SONY TAF-770ES/SONY CDP761E/Cable Talk 3.1 loudspeakercable/ Harbeth Compact7ES2/ Stands

2. Virtue Audio Sensation M451battery PSU, ClarityCaps upgrade/ Sensation M901/Russian PIO caps with Teflon bypass caps upgrade/ JT Dynamic PSU with various tweaks/ Connex Audio 5N Litz loudspeaker cable, Impulse H6 Loudspeakers.

Me so horny- Impulse H6 Horny

I'm Andrew.

My headshell is level and the sound is great indeed.

I tried playing a mono and stereo LP with headphones with and without the MJ-12 and apart from sounding significantly better with eh MJ-12 and BR-ONE underneath I can't hear any difference in channel separation whatsoever. I like the way that the arm hardly moves up or down when using the above when playing.

I was originally using the MJ-12 directly on the platter and using a Linn felt mat as a dust cover for the MJ-12.

Then one day before going to bed I took the MJ-12 off for some reason (as you do) and put them back on in the wrong order without realising it, went to bed, woke up the next day and spent 13 hours with my brother playing LPs and then I realised I couldn't find the felt mat anywhere but was wondering how come it sounded better that day, then it dawned on me the felt mat was under the MJ-12! So then I ordered a BR-ONE to go underneath.

I think the slight 1 degree curve outweighs any very slight azimuth issues especially when I notice that without the mat or weight nearly every record I take out of the sleeve, especially the new 180g pressing are warped all over the place anyway and this definitely affect azimuth.

Maybe one day I could buy a ETP platter from Mike but the only thing holding me back is that I like the strobe on the original platter!

And yes, they do look great spinning, especially when I play clear green vinyl as you can see the tuning holes in the MJ-12 underneath!

That DCC copy of Elvis is Back at the end of the first video in the bottom right is stonkingily good!

PRESS PLAY ON BOTH VIDEOS AT THE SAME TIME, IT LOOKS WELL COOL!
    Last edited by allthingsanalogue; 18-03-2015 at 09:54.

I'm Andy.

Nice looking Techie there mate.
    System; Michell Gyrodec SE/ Orbe Clamp/ Gert Pedersen armboard mod/ HR PSU/ SME V / J7 Tonearm cable/Ortofon Cadenza Black// Jez Arkless Turbo nutter B------ /Trichord Dino+

Amplification and loudspeaker set up is at the moment being split into two groups, comprising the following;

1. Same sources as above; SONY TAF-770ES/SONY CDP761E/Cable Talk 3.1 loudspeakercable/ Harbeth Compact7ES2/ Stands

2. Virtue Audio Sensation M451battery PSU, ClarityCaps upgrade/ Sensation M901/Russian PIO caps with Teflon bypass caps upgrade/ JT Dynamic PSU with various tweaks/ Connex Audio 5N Litz loudspeaker cable, Impulse H6 Loudspeakers.

Me so horny- Impulse H6 Horny

I'm Andrew.

Cheers

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Andrew,

Looks good! Could we have a video of your T/T playing some vinyl? Would be good to have a listen

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Andrew.

Will do!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Nice one

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Andrew.

I put the camera in between the speakers, it's only a mono camera so audio is not great. Any distortion is the camera mic

I used Jim Reeves as it probably won't get removed by the Youtube police!

Quick demo of deck running

+ Reply to Thread