+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello looking for advise

I'm Steve.

Default Hello looking for advise

Good evening all,
    My name is Steve from Kent and i have just joined the forum as i am looking to upgrade my Hi Fi and this forum looks like a good place to pick some brains. My current set up has followed me around for a few years

Goldring GR1 turntable
    Musical Fidelity A3 Pre Amp
    Musical Fidelity A3 CD
    B&W CM4 Floorstanders

I now have a dedicated music room , err the box bedroom above the garage, and have decided its time to have a serious upgrade. Does anyone have a view on the below wish list?

Room Size 5m x 2.5m x 2.5 m

Keep the Musical Fidelity A3 Pre Amp and add

Croft 7R Power Amp

Harbeth C7-ES3 Speakers

Shpuld i keep the MF Amp ? Or go croft all the way?

Musical i listen to a wide range of Vinyl and CDs. As Duke Ellington said ' There is only two types of Music, Good Music and Bad Music.'

I'm Geoff.

Hi Steve. Welcome to AOS.

I can't comment on the items you mention, as I've not tried them, but I recall the MF amps being well reviewed.

If you fancy Harbeth speakers, take care matching amps to them. I doubt you'd go wrong with Croft though, as long as you have enough power.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

Hi Steve and welcome to the forum.

Croft with Harbeth vs Musical Fidelity with B&W? I'd expect two very different presentations. However lots of members here use the Croft/Harbeth combo and swear by it.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

Well, its not a big room so you really don't need big powerful stuff.. Might be inclined to go for a nice little valve integrated amp
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Steve.

Thats an idea, any recommendations?

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Hi Steve and welcome to the forum.

Croft with Harbeth vs Musical Fidelity with B&W? I'd expect two very different presentations. However lots of members here use the Croft/Harbeth combo and swear by it.
    The MF/B&W combo in my new room although sounding fine, can be a bit overwhelmimg in the small space.

I'm Grant.

theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?37377-Unison-Research-Preludio

hechas mot put a price in yet but that ill get sorted but this kind of thing is fine for a room your size i would have thought...croft valve amps are nice too.
    I have a Chinese Yaqin amp fettled for uk voltage and very fine amp it is but you need to run those at correct voltage.
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

If you are finding you have to crank the power before it all comes together you might want to look at changing the speakers for something more sensitive.

What is your location? We do ask on AoS that you give a city or county as well as the country in your profile. If you are anywhere near Leicestershire you could consider going to The Scalford show last Sunday in March. 40-odd enthusiast's systems to check out, might give you more of an idea as to what direction to go in.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    If you are finding you have to crank the power before it all comes together you might want to look at changing the speakers for something more sensitive.

What is your location? We do ask on AoS that you give a city or county as well as the country in your profile. If you are anywhere near Leicestershire you could consider going to The Scalford show last Sunday in March. 40-odd enthusiast's systems to check out, might give you more of an idea as to what direction to go in.
    I am living in Kent at the moment, i will add it to my profile. I have decided to change everything and start again, which is exciting but quite daunting. Lots of options!

I'm Grant.

Yes a day out at Scalford would let you see and hear some nice stuff being used by enthousiasts rather than dealers. Maybe if you put a call out for members near you you could maybe get a bake off orginised ..they are most helpful.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast