+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Alphason HR100 S- cartridge help please

Thanks for all the feedback guys.
    I will leave the Denon DL103R for another day on another arm.
    I have had Johnnie7 at Audio Origami modify a tonearm for me in the past, and he does superb work.
    But..... I have just purchased an Accuphase AC-2 MC cart from a seller on the Audio Asylum site, and it has minimal hours on it. I did a lot of googling about this cart and it seems to be an excellent cartridge.
    I also was considering a Denon Dl 304 and an AT OC9 ML II, but went for the Accuphase.
    I have done some checking and it is a good match for the Alphason arm, and I really look forward to hearing the combo when I get home in November.
    Depending on how it sounds I will then consider sending the arm off for mods from AO, or just leave it standard.

I will also post pics at that time.

Chris
    Chris from down under

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Chris,

Sounds like a good outcome. The Accuphase is highly rated, by all accounts

Much as I'm a fan of the DL-103, I'd be reluctant to sell an HR100S because it wasn't compatible. Yes you could modify it quite successfully to suit the 103, but there's nothing to say that the Accuphase/HR100S combo won't be as good as, say, a Jelco SA-750D/103Pro - just different!

Anyway, enjoy and keep us posted of the final outcome, of course with pictures

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Next time I visit HiFi Dave I'll take the camera - he has some fantastic vintage stuff and should have the Harbeth 40.1's by then - a modern *big* speaker I really want to spend some time with - fed by valves and a decent source of whatever persuasion the music is presented on.. I want a play with his SL110 in any case for old time's sake

"Used" Accuphase looks to be a great idea, but I think that both they and Luxman deliberately priced their gear out of the running to maintain that aloof cachet so beloved of audiophools - a great shame IMO..

Good luck with the combo once you get it working and don't give up on the 103, just take Marco's advice on getting one of the better ones.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Shaun.

Hello there... I use an Alphason Xenon tonearm which was almost identical to the HR100 S MCS but without quite as much stainless on the gimbal mount. At the moment I have a Denon DL160 in it but I'm looking forward to next year when I shall be fitting a much better cartridge. Can't wait...

I'm ChrisB.

Quote Originally Posted by soundfanz View Post
    But..... I have just purchased an Accuphase AC-2 MC cart from a seller on the Audio Asylum site, and it has minimal hours on it. I did a lot of googling about this cart and it seems to be an excellent cartridge.
    Chris,
    I'd be very interested as to how you get on with the Accuphase - please keep your promise to let us know, mate.

Cheers

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    As said above though, so sad that Alphason turned their collective back so totally on their audio gear. I suspect the Linnie/Naimie thang had a lot to do with it (Richard Dunn isn't the only one with an old axe to grind I'm afraid..)
    It's actually more complicated than that. It's a long story, but if I may quote a summary from Haden Boardman, who used to work for Alphason, -

Basically it started with a few issues relating to Alphason's then new range of electronics but, to rub salt into Mike's wounds, at the time of the electronics problems, a representative was going around telling everyone that Alphason were in dire straights when this was simply not true.

On top of this, an enthusiastic customer, thinking he was doing Alphason a favour, would badger local dealers into getting the Sonata in stock by ringing up and posing as a potential customer. Unhappily, the gentleman had a pretty distinctive accent and would also accompany Mike on dealer demonstrations! Dealers aren't stupid and spotted the 'plant' even though Alphason were completely in ignorance of his activities!

Thanks to this mis-directed enthusiasm, Alphason began to lose what dealers it had and was forced to sell 'factory seconds' direct to customers. This way, you soon end up with no dealers at all.

Between 1980 and 1990, Alphason had its (unfortunately unpatented) ideas copied by other manufacturers, was ripped off for dodgy amplifiers, bad-mouthed by an ex-employee and suffered an enthusiast muddying the water with the dealers.

As Haden said, the odds seemed to be stacked against Mike which is a great shame as he is a talented chap. I have heard rumours that he may be designing a new arm for a UK manufacturer but this was in the very early stages when I was talking to the manufacturer in question last year and I don't know if anything more has happened. Personally speaking, however, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Smile Interested in your Alphason HR100S tone arm.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    And a bit more Stan. Uses a Linn arm mount if I remember right, fantastic arm. If I had access to an arm board for my Oracle for sensible money, I'd ask to buy it off you, but I don't have access to the board or the money so I won't ask to buy it off you assuming you were selling it.

Regards D S D L

Hi D S D L,

Any taught of selling your Alphason HR100S tone arm for I'm in the market for one.

Cheers,

James T

I'm ChrisB.

Hi James,
    Welcome to the Art of Sound!
    I think we'd all appreciate it if you could veer over to the Welcome area & introduce yourself to us.
    Some of the things we'd all like to know about are your taste in music, whereabouts ou come from & your system & what it is made up from - I'm guessing that if you know about Alphason arms, you've probably got a system we'd like to hear about!
    Then if you feel like it, you can stop by at the Gallery & show us some piccies.
    Cheers

I'm Guy.

Using my J7 rebuilt, AN rewired Xenon with an AN Io on a Voyd at the moment & really enjoying it. This cartridge is 22g so the arm has a heavier stainless steel c/weight made by John (Thrunobulax) to allow it to balance.

I'd describe the Alphason as perhaps more explicit but less rooted than my SMEV. A very pleasant alternative though.
    Last edited by pure sound; 30-12-2009 at 14:09.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by goodattitude88 View Post
    Hi D S D L,

Any taught of selling your Alphason HR100S tone arm for I'm in the market for one.

Cheers,

James T
    Sorry re-read my post...I was saying that if one was up for sale I would (assuming I had the money..and I don't) buy one. I don't have one for sale.

Please pop into the Welcome section of the forum and say hello please.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast