+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PTFE insulated speaker cable

I'm Kevin.

Default PTFE insulated speaker cable

I am quite happy with my current speaker cable, but I have seen a PTFE insulated cable of a similar cross section. Do you think that the better quality insulation (compared to my Belden RG8/U) would make a difference? The Belden isn't PTFE but is pretty well insulated.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Richard.

It's not the insulating qualities that will matter (they will both be adequate), but the dielectric qualities. And there will be plenty of disagreement there! The conductor quality and configuration would be of more concern (to me).
    http://www.coincidentspeaker.com/cablesindex.htm http://www.audioholics.com/audio-vid...ables-debunked http://www.vhaudio.com/wire.html
    Etc, etc,........
    PS. I have found a speaker cable that works well in my system, but only after trying many different types.
    ABD.

I'm Kevin.

It's the following cable: ELECAUDIO HP-25OCC Câble HP OCC/OFC Isolé PTFE 2x4.8mm² Ø7.5mm
    About €15 a metre, and as I only need 2m I will probably try some.
    The dialectric is PTFE, not the insulation. My mistake in the first post.
    Kevin

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    It's the following cable: ELECAUDIO HP-25OCC Câble HP OCC/OFC Isolé PTFE 2x4.8mm² Ø7.5mm
    About €15 a metre, and as I only need 2m I will probably try some.
    The dialectric is PTFE, not the insulation. My mistake in the first post.
    The terms are frequently interchangeable, for many applications, although they are not exactly equivalent. At the low voltages associated with speaker cables, many people consider them to be the same. YMMV. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dielectric
    Personally, I consider the geometry to matter more; I tend to favour solid core, especially for HF connections (I build my own speakers).
    ABD.

I'm Richard.

If you buy some, let me know what you think of it. I am always interested in new information.
    ABD.

I'm rupert.

From what I understand the dialectic is in relation to the cross section of the cable inside. From this article, it appears that several runs of AWG24 solid core are favoured to one thick cable. Some commercial cables are built like this, I have a pair with PTFE jackets and 7 solid core AWG 24 runs per cable. Sounds great in my setup. Basically PTFE cables are used in industry applications where heat is an issue as the Teflon / PTFE has a higher melting point than PVC for instance.

PS. I have built a set whith standard copper / PVC wires you can find in any hardware store and cannot hear any difference compared to the same build with copper/silver + PTFE wires...

I'm Kevin.

Thanks Rupert.
    I am not expecting a night and day difference. I was just wondering if they would be slightly better.
    The current cables work well, and are basically 7 solid core cables twisted to form the conductor.

I could try and build some cables using solid core and stranded wire. It should not too expensive as it's readily available from a local supplier, who also do a nice PTFE version in various diameters.
    Kevin

I'm Richard.

If you haven't already done so, take a look at TNT. http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/diycables.html
    However, if you make speaker cables like the CAT5 braided ones here, be VERY careful. They are high capacitance and made one of my amps oscillate!
    ABD.

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by r100 View Post
    From what I understand the dialectic is in relation to the cross section of the cable inside. From this article, it appears that several runs of AWG24 solid core are favoured to one thick cable. Some commercial cables are built like this, I have a pair with PTFE jackets and 7 solid core AWG 24 runs per cable. Sounds great in my setup. Basically PTFE cables are used in industry applications where heat is an issue as the Teflon / PTFE has a higher melting point than PVC for instance.

PS. I have built a set whith standard copper / PVC wires you can find in any hardware store and cannot hear any difference compared to the same build with copper/silver + PTFE wires...
    These things are very system and ear dependent. Another person with another system might hear a difference. Which is what causes most* of the arguments!
    * Some people will argue just for the sake of it.
    ABD.

I'm rupert.

Quote Originally Posted by awkwardbydesign View Post
    * Some people will argue just for the sake of it.

very true.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast