+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Batch of Bearings from Mike New

Mike_New Guest

You need to be careful if you do this as some of the circuit boards have much longer wires protruding and will poke through the
    soft insulation tape.
    Really, how much effort does it take to snip off the wires with nail scissors???

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Nice to see you using your trade room, Mike. Keep up the good work!

Btw, posting some pictures of your bearings here now and then would also help generate interest in them, especially if you do it in conjunction with a picture of a stock Technics bearing, and let folk see just how much of a toy the latter is in comparison!!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Mike_New Guest

Yea OK I will do that but my avatar should help to tell the story.

I'm Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_New View Post
    You need to be careful if you do this as some of the circuit boards have much longer wires protruding and will poke through the
    soft insulation tape.
    Really, how much effort does it take to snip off the wires with nail scissors???
    This was in addition to trimming the tails.
    Really, how much effort does it take to add some tape?
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

Mike_New Guest

My apologies, I misunderstood your post

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Yea OK I will do that but my avatar should help to tell the story.
    In my experience, in sales, you can never ‘front up’ your products too much….

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    In my experience, in sales, you can never ‘front up’ your products too much….

Marco.

Didn't somebody get banned for that?
    System; Michell Gyrodec SE/ Orbe Clamp/ Gert Pedersen armboard mod/ HR PSU/ SME V / J7 Tonearm cable/Ortofon Cadenza Black// Jez Arkless Turbo nutter B------ /Trichord Dino+

Amplification and loudspeaker set up is at the moment being split into two groups, comprising the following;

1. Same sources as above; SONY TAF-770ES/SONY CDP761E/Cable Talk 3.1 loudspeakercable/ Harbeth Compact7ES2/ Stands

2. Virtue Audio Sensation M451battery PSU, ClarityCaps upgrade/ Sensation M901/Russian PIO caps with Teflon bypass caps upgrade/ JT Dynamic PSU with various tweaks/ Connex Audio 5N Litz loudspeaker cable, Impulse H6 Loudspeakers.

Me so horny- Impulse H6 Horny

I'm Neil.

The design of my Bearing is predicated on achieving the maximum amout of metal where it matters down low.
    The few wires that may protrude above the circuit board vary across all the production models so it would be silly to restrict the
    performance of the Bearing just because these wires need to be snipped off.

Widening the width of the mounting flange is a good point and one which I have considered, however it would have to be an integral part of the Bearing
    which would entail a greater amount of machining and wasted metal. And hence it would increase the price.
    Yes but would the price be greater than the combined price of bearing and plate? If not and as many say the plate should be used perhaps a combined unit might be an option. Call it product improvement.

Regards Neil

Mike_New Guest

Hi Neil, yes I could
    But you see the Base Plate really is only required if you want to get the utmost best out of the SL.
    And in particular when using my ETP Platter.
    This is why I have evolved a modular upgrade path.
    Both need to be separate componenets for obvious reasons.
    You see people are continually asking for me to produce a less costly Bearing, this cannot be done at the quality and performance I provide.
    And we have yet another "vendor" making high claims for a piece of brass screwed to the existing weak cast alloy bearing-housing thus weakening it further.
    And at Pstg85.00 I guess it sounds cheap, which is good for the supplier as the piece of 40mm brass bar would only cost about Pstg 15.00. So his profit margin on Pstg 85.00 is far better than mine!!!! (about Pstg65.00 for his own labour!!) and No capital investment outlay of thousands of dollars.

I'm Andrew.

I will post some photos of your bearing compared to the basic one!

How come the bearing oil never needs changing? Just wondering.

ATB

Andrew
    Last edited by allthingsanalogue; 30-04-2015 at 12:12.

My System:

Turntable - Linn Sondek LP12, Kore, Lingo 4, Roksan NIMA, Lyra Delos Cartridge, Roksan HDC-03 arm lead, Trampolin 2 base, Tiger Paw Vulcan, Denon DCD-A110 Cd player, Tag Mclaren DAC20 Digital to Analogue Converter, SPM Interconnects, Nordost Red Dawn Leif Speaker cable, Spendor S3/5R2 Target R1 speaker Stands, Atacama ECO 60/40 hifi racks, Sennheiser HD565 Ovation headphones

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast