+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody in Fife have a valve tester?

I'm Simon.

Default Anybody in Fife have a valve tester?

30 odd valves in the system becomes a tad boring when it's always the last one that's the culprit.
    Used to be ok as I bought one that went tits up, then I borrowed one(for a few years).
    Have a large pile of tubes and don't believe both in each pair were culprits but no way of knowing
    without risking fireworks

My spares are dwindling along with my faith

I'm Andrei.

I was thinking I knew a few things about valves after having bought my first valve based component (phonostage) but now I realise I know nothing.
    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Sources:[/B] [B]1[/B][/COLOR] PC & Wyred4Sound DAC-2 DSDse   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]2[/B][/COLOR] Oppo BDP105   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]3[/B][/COLOR] Technics SL·1210 MK5 (Jelco 750D · Benz Wood).    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speaker Cable[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=black]Nordost Frey.[/COLOR]    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Interconnects [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Oyaide[/COLOR][COLOR=black] & [/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Geisha [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Silver.
    [/COLOR][B][COLOR=#a52a2a]Phono Stage [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=black]Fosgate Signature V2. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Preamp [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Ayon Eris[/COLOR][COLOR=black]. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Power Amp[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=Black]ATC P1. [/COLOR]  ​ [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speakers[/B][/COLOR] Triangle Magellan Cello.     [COLOR=#A9A9A9]Oh Sting, where is thy death?[/COLOR]

I'm martin.

Si74, my mate is/was an electronics engineer but he's on holiday at the mo, I think he'll be back sunday, I'll ask him them, if he doesn't have one he might know where to source one locally.
    Please take good care of your S2k keep it by your side for long and enjoy it from the bottom of your heart and share the quality and legacy of the S2k with many friends so that the legend of the S2k will continue for long. Shigeru Uehara Designer Honda S2000.

I'm James.

If you, fancy paying postage down and back to Anglo-Saxon ville Londinium I will test them for you. Pm to let me know what they are as a few big triodes and 10 pin oddities don't test well on my Avo, but happy to help if required.

I'm Simon.

Thanks for the replies and offers.
    My mate is coming up from England in a few weeks so hoping he can bring his tester
    up with him.
    A tad late as a 6x4 in my pre went and I fear it has taken out at least one of my
    Meridian M2s. Sad ending for speakers that have served me well for 30 years

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Ouch! Don't have a tester Simon, otherwise would have given you a shout.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm James.

Very sorry to hear it. Seems a bit extreme, was there an almighty 'whump' or something as the tube went? I somehow imagine a pair of Meridian actives would have either overload or fuse protection? Fingers crossed for you!

By the way Simon, was it you who sold me a bunch of 6SN7s a few years back? A hearty thanks if so
    Last edited by Jazid; 06-03-2015 at 20:55. Reason: I

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Aye, I'd have thought. Perhaps a fuse?
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Simon.

Hi Jazid,

if it was a flight case full, then probably, there were some nice tubes amongst them,
    shame I sold the Supratek that used them, another mistake.

Put power to the left M2 and all sorts of horrendous noises till the plug was fully home.
    Then tried swapping the left pre out to the right and enough crackles pops to make me think
    bad idea.
    Had the power boards out today and checked, all fuses ok, both speakers power up without any extraneous noises,
    the right switches of with the usual thump, the left seems a tad different.
    Not keen to risk my remaining pre in a test but may have some guitar effects with a pre out that I could
    live without if it goes pop!
    Fingers crossed the speakers may be ok but the Supratek needs some tlc as I'm fairly sure it's went dc on
    one channel. No spare 6x4s to try it and just glad it wasn't in the main system as a goosed Audiopax
    would result in Hari Kari
    Last edited by Si74; 06-03-2015 at 22:45. Reason: drink

I'm inthescottishmafia.

If you need a hand, or any different kit to try, let me know. I'm free tomorrow afternoon.

Hunter S Thompson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast