+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Cabling, Timing and other factors in System Building.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Yikes - 48oz = 3 lbs! That's a big lump of cow - good luck with that Hamish! (or should we call you Elvis from now on?! )
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Nothing like a good bit of thread meander. To tidy up a couple of points:

(1) Nothing wrong with a little Maille Dijon mustard with steak, or (to my taste) some Colman's English mustard (and if it can be freshly made, so much the better).

(2) I have to say that I rarely drink anything other than malt whisky and I drink it neat. I realise, Neil that I mistook 'Black Bush' with 'Bushmills' 10 year malt'. It's been a while now since I drank Irish whiskey. Connoisseurs will tell you that adding a single drop of water brings out the flavour. Have tried this but I can't say I have noticed the effect. If I want to make my drink last, I will add an equal quantity of tepid tap water to it (don't use rain water: that could lead to the start of WW3!).

Which brings me neatly to another effect I have not noticed: cable directionality. Marco, I would need to know the make of cable to which you refer. If the cable is shielded twin-core cable that has the shield connected at one end only, then I will concede that an audible difference might be noted, depending on the potential difference between the shield and the '0v', or ground, of the electronics which it feeds. The shield should be connected to the point of lowest potential, otherwise the shield effectiveness is impaired.

I do not believe that coaxial cables are directional, or speaker cable for that matter.

Regards
    Barry

I'm InSpace.

Quote Originally Posted by barry.d.hunt View Post
    If the cable is shielded twin-core cable that has the shield connected at one end only, then I will concede that an audible difference might be noted, depending on the potential difference between the shield and the '0v', or ground, of the electronics which it feeds. The shield should be connected to the point of lowest potential, otherwise the shield effectiveness is impaired.
    That is precisely how the cable of mine (that Marco referred to) is constructed. Pseudo balanced, as it is often called.

I tried to explain it to him on the phone, but I could hear his eyes glazing over...
    Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

I'm ChrisB.

That's the way I make up my cables too, always have. And yes, they are directional.

Put a single drop of water into a glass of whisky & watch closely what happens where the water hit the whisky. You can see all sorts of swirly twirly stuff going on as the two mix.

It makes the flavour open out.

............currently languishing in a tumbler of Laphroaig Quarter Cask - 48% & rather lovely

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    That's the way I make up my cables too, always have. And yes, they are directional.

Put a single drop of water into a glass of whisky & watch closely what happens where the water hit the whisky. You can see all sorts of swirly twirly stuff going on as the two mix.

It makes the flavour open out.

............currently languishing in a tumbler of Laphroaig Quarter Cask - 48% & rather lovely
    My favourite whisky, unfortunately I have run out, so am 'making do' with Aberlour. Oh the sacrifices we have to make!

Regards
    Barry

I'm ChrisB.

Quote Originally Posted by barry.d.hunt View Post
    My favourite whisky, unfortunately I have run out, so am 'making do' with Aberlour. Oh the sacrifices we have to make!

Regards
    Haha...........you sound like a farmer moaning about the how the Common Agricultural Policy is bankrupting him and he can only afford one Range Rover nowadays.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112