+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My First R2R

I'm Ralph.

Default My First R2R

Well well, have a look what I got from eBay.
    Lovely thing in fantastic condition, not a mark on it and listening to it playing back a tape of Breakfast in America nothing much wrong mechanically/electrically either.

Thing is the guy included some tapes, some 7" (2 on Agfa metal spools) including the Supertramp, some 5" used (no idea what's on them, be fun finding out) and 13 brand new sealed Basf 5", 3LP, 3TP, & 7DP. As my intention is just to build up a library of commercial pre-recorded tapes I wondered if anyone here had any use for them. Not looking to sell as such, they're yours for the cost of postage plus a fiver would be nice to get the missus a jalfrezze, she really is taking this very well (actually she is impressed with the thing, could be the start of a collection, you never know, fingers crossed).

Cheers

I'm Nick.

Well done Ralph, and count me in for those 'surplus tapes' if you haven't already had a taker!

I really hope you enjoy listening to your new machine. It looks a lot like my Sony TC-377 which plays back pre-recs really nicely (and records well too - though interestingly my RT-707 extracts better playback from recordings on my TC-377 than the 377 manages!).

Collecting factory made reels is great fun, eventhough the shipping from the States can make then a bit pricey. I can see I'll have a bit of competition on the old auction site now
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm Ralph.

Mr Beechwoods, sir, they are all yours, you will be in receipt of a PM very shortly

I'm Neil.

Nice looking machine....REM

Damn missed those............ Oh well. Akais are nice machines and the glass heads mean that the most expensive bit that can go wrong will (unless they have been physically damaged will be okay). I picked up an Akai GX365 a number of months ago and its very nice (thanks Dave). It has a built in amplifier and 2 speakers, headphone outputs as well as audio ins and outs. In away its a Reel to Reel all in one a micro of its day. But very high end in its original cost.

As to getting more R to R yes you are doomed. All those nice "Collection Only" machines are yours. Where I am, its if it does not have original packaging a non starter, as it would end up smashed.

Enjoy

Regards D S D L
    Last edited by Spectral Morn; 26-08-2009 at 17:31.
    Regards Neil

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

A quick note from a boring old fart...

I don't know this particular Akai, but the perennial 4000DS model had tons of hiss from the electronics. The Dolby version (4000DB) being around as quiet as the TC377.

In the day, machines such as this were regarded as Denon/Yamaha-style cassette decks were a few years later. Serious recordings were done on Revox, Ferrograph and top end Sony's etc, the Technics 1500 being a bling model, albeit a very very good one

I hope you start collecting these decks now they're cheap enough to punt on. It's an easy addiction to acquire I can guarantee
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Ralph.

From Neil

As to getting more R to R yes you are doomed. All those nice "Collection Only" machines are yours. Where I am, its if it does not have original packaging a non starter, as it would end up smashed.

Know what you mean this was only 45mins drive so no problem with collection, it's also nice, I think, to actually meet the seller you get a good feel for how the machine has been treated. This guy has a photo of his T/T on his iPhone so definitely the right sort of bloke, I would think.

From DSJR

I don't know this particular Akai, but the perennial 4000DS model had tons of hiss from the electronics. The Dolby version (4000DB) being around as quiet as the TC377.

This seems pretty quiet, with a blank tape running through it you get to about 3 o'clock on the loud knob before the hum kicks in which aint bad for an old 70s relic and makes it a bloody sight quieter than my phono stage!

It runs warm and has that fabulous vintage electronica smell you don't seem to get from modern gear, this could well be the start of something

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I can guarantee it

You know, I'm Revox'd out. i'd like to try a Ferrograph Logic 7. Liked those and they made decent recordings too.......
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Ralph.

Aw gawd don't get me started on Revoxes....slope.....slippery...

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by REM View Post
    Aw gawd don't get me started on Revoxes....slope.....slippery...
    Tell me about it................

Pity I missed out on some of those tapes....

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm Ralph.

Hi Neil

Love that Reverse-O-Matic knob, way kwell

Still waiting to here back from Nick re the tapes, maybe we could split them

Cheers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast