+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Yamaha NS1000M Genelec version

I'm Juha.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    Sorry, I don't see the point you are making?
    These ware designed in 1978. Amp technology then was such that a 300W amp was quit large and heavy.
    There is no way they could bolt on for example three 300W amps on the back of the speaker cabinet.
    Analogue: Thorens TD 160 Super, Micro Seiki CF1 arm, Toshiba SR-370, Micro Seiki MA-505 arm, Nagaoka MP-50, Ortofon S 15-TE
    Source: JRiver 20, RME 9632 sound card, cd Micromega Drive 1, Hegel HD2 dac, Asus Xonar STX
    Pre-amp: Quad 33, Audiolabor VV2020
    Amps: Quad 522, Quad 405, Nakamichi Amplifier 1, CEC Amp 3300
    Speakers: Kef 104/2, ESS Amt 1 Monitor, Magneplanar 2.5/RT, Yamaha NS1000M - Active Genelec, cable Mogami 2513 "Blue Rocket"

I'm Deleted.

Oh, I see - sorry, that isn't what I was suggesting - not three 300wpc amps, but I'm surprised they are as low powered as they are.
    Account Deleted

I'm Simon.

No doubt they were intended for broadcast monitoring no need for head banging levels.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Deleted.

It would be interesting to know what crossover slopes and frequencies were used.
    Account Deleted

I'm Juha.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    It would be interesting to know what crossover slopes and frequencies were used.
    Here is some info on Genelec S30 monitors. My speakers have an earlier version of this amp.
    This is a datasheet. I know from internet discussions that crossover frequencies are not the same as on this document.

http://www.genelec.com/documents/datasheets/DS_S30.pdf
    Analogue: Thorens TD 160 Super, Micro Seiki CF1 arm, Toshiba SR-370, Micro Seiki MA-505 arm, Nagaoka MP-50, Ortofon S 15-TE
    Source: JRiver 20, RME 9632 sound card, cd Micromega Drive 1, Hegel HD2 dac, Asus Xonar STX
    Speakers: Kef 104/2, ESS Amt 1 Monitor, Magneplanar 2.5/RT, Yamaha NS1000M - Active Genelec, cable Mogami 2513 "Blue Rocket"

I'm Deleted.

Interesting, that describes third order slopes for all the drivers.
    Account Deleted

I'm Juha.

Bias current and offset voltage

Genelec service department was kind enough to send me instructions on
    setting bias current and offset voltage for the amps on my NS1000M.
    Got them on email in just one hour!! How is that for good service.

I am by no means an electronics expert, but managed to do this easy enough.
    Of course being very careful as mains voltage has to be on to do this.

After correct settings:

a) somehow less distortion on mid and treble
    b) one speaker amps were running hotter than the other. Not any more.

Getting closer to perfection. Should get 8 new power caps on Friday. Lets see if that makes a difference.

I'm Mika.

It does.

These Genelec S45 models actually pop up for sale every once in a while here in Finland and have heard several pairs during the years. Despite haven't made any direct comparison have somehow feeling that the original Yamaha NS-1000 or 1000M versions are more capable when set up with decent amplification as their passive XO is pretty good without any mods. Or at least have never heard the speakers sound anywhere their best when driven with Genelec plate amps. With the Genelec amps there is always some harshness present that I haven't been able to overcome.

Great catch nevertheless especially for the money they have been for sale lately!

PS: The Genelec guys told me years back that the reason this model is not at their webpages etc is that it was not commercially available product, just custom modification for YLE as a one of order. Then based on this experience the S30 was introduced..
    Loricraft / Garrard / SME / Transfiguration / Dynavector / Ensemble / Auditorium 23 / Shindo / RA / Audio Note / Duelund / Altec

I'm Juha.

Yamaha NS1000M / Genelec recap done

Power supply electrolytic caps have been changed. Using high quality German F&T caps.
    These were the only electrolytic caps in the system. Amp bias also reset.

Harshness / raw sound is now less and less. These are not easy and sweet sounding.
    Analytic with high realism. Revealing every detail.

I have them now on original studio trolleys. Bottom heigth is 65 cm from floor level.

Now I have to start pre-amp rolling. All shortcomings will come out.

1. Cyrus Pre: no, no Too dry
    2. Velleman 8020 with DDR RFT ECC82 valves from 70's: no good
    3. Dada revised Quad 33: now this is something. At least it has a personal sound.

I'm nigel.

I had a pair of ns 500s a few years back....10'' bass and almost the same tweeter as the 1000s.

wonderfully crisp but hard with poor kit.
    sadly, nothing could be done about this as a previous owner had killed the tweeter attenuator. the crossover was also heavily potted with hard mastic so no adjustment was possible.

but you know what I REALLY miss....the wonderful "electronic" smell from the reflex port.
    during hard use it was evident in my listening area!!!

NIGE.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast