+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ortofon DS-1 digital stylus pressure gauge?

I'm Ron.

Default Ortofon DS-1 digital stylus pressure gauge?

Anyone use this particular gauge? Carrying the Ortofon badge I would imagine that it is well made and an accurate precision instrument hence my interest? It seems to retail at a constant price of c£110.00p from the likes of Henley Designs and others who sell this product. Okay, I know this is alot to pay but my present digital stylus gauge seems to be wildly erratic nowadays and I've lost confidence in its abilities to give an accurate reading. At the other end of Ortofon's range is the plastic mechanical one, views on this one as well please?

Many thanks,
    Ron.

PS I'm still here and alive

I'm Grant.

just bought one of these after years of using my shure balance gauge. seems accurate and resettable. comes with a 5 gm weight to test with. it proved my shure was close but not right. for the money its worth the buying and if it packs up you can buy another 10 b4 you get to the ortofons price

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digital-Ca...item46226430f3
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

I was going to suggest the same, Grant.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Ron.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    just bought one of these after years of using my shure balance gauge. seems accurate and resettable. comes with a 5 gm weight to test with. it proved my shure was close but not right. for the money its worth the buying and if it packs up you can buy another 10 b4 you get to the ortofons price

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digital-Ca...item46226430f3
    Thanks Grant and Chris. The one on ebay is very much like the one I'm using (or not using at the mo), forget who I got it from. Are you both using MC pickup carts as I believe these can be problematic with some gauges? Will shop around to see if I can get it cheaper (the Ortofon)

I'm Neal.

I bought that ebay one after the reports here and it works a treat. It was also good to confirm that my trusty old Shure balance gauge was just about spot on! Could have saved myself a tenner!
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by JazzBones View Post
    Thanks Grant and Chris. The one on ebay is very much like the one I'm using (or not using at the mo), forget who I got it from. Are you both using MC pickup carts as I believe these can be problematic with some gauges? Will shop around to see if I can get it cheaper (the Ortofon)
    mine is an mc.
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm openingabottleofwine.

No need to pay £100 for a 'badged' Ortofon product. Jeweller's digital scales, or the ones discussed by Grant are perfectly sufficient in resolution and accuracy to use as stylus scales.

Make sure the weighing platform is non-magnetic (i.e. stainless steel) and you will be OK.
    Barry

I'm Grant.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1515110798...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

this is the acyual one i got(seller) it is the. mproved non magnetic version. build quality is nothing special tbh but it does what it says and how often do you use it...10 quid is enough for me but can understand if you just want the best and can afford it it is nice to have a nice bit of kit.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Ron.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1515110798...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

this is the acyual one i got(seller) it is the. mproved non magnetic version. build quality is nothing special tbh but it does what it says and how often do you use it...10 quid is enough for me but can understand if you just want the best and can afford it it is nice to have a nice bit of kit.
    Mine looks like yours does except back light is green. The box refers to it as 'Phonograph Arm Load Meter professional digital meter' made in China, also shows a picture on the packaging box of a Graham Phantom arm + cartridge being balanced out on it. I lust after the Graham Phantom Mk2 Supreme arm.. dream on. Put three different magnets of varying weights on the cartridge body tray to see if this was magnetic and it was not, the magnets just slid off... did this with the meter switched off by the way. On reflection it could be the battery is getting on a bit and needs renewing, which I will do first. Did not want to pay £100. for a gauge if I could help it, just drawn by the Ortofon name I guess... will put the money in a savings box towards an upgrade of cartridge, currently using an AT33EV. Thanks for the helpful advice. As an aside The Cartridge Man digital scales cost a cool £275.00p, who buys 'em and just how good is it?

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by JazzBones View Post
    Mine is MC too, one of these scary devices ...

Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast