+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122

Thread: Audiophile output on Mac OSX

I'm Pavel.

Quote Originally Posted by Landloper View Post
    I run i-Tunes usually through the optical out into a DAC, but I also have some files that are only avaialble in FLAC so have to run a second app, VLC. I tried Audirvana but I didn't much care for the interface and I also had some difficulty integrating it with i-Tunes, so once the trial expired I left things as they were. Personally I'm not overwhelmed with HiRez as it doesn't seem to me to justify the price charged for the (often minimal) improvement over a red book CD. Others clearly get a good deal of pleasure out of HiRez music. Perhaps having 58 year-old hearing minimizes the impact of HiRez tracks too.

I like the idea of a computer into a pair of active speakers as music centre, with an HPA handy for nightime.
    There is a free app called XLD (X Lossless Decoder) that can transcode FLAC files into ALAC (Apple Lossless). There's no loss of quality and ALAC files are fully supported by iTunes.

I'm Peter.

Hi Joanna, thank you, much appreciated - what DAC do you have ?

I'm Jo.

Quote Originally Posted by pcourtney View Post
    Hi Joanna, thank you, much appreciated - what DAC do you have ?
    A few standalones: Roksan K3, Audiolab M-DAC, Myryad Z20, Beresford SEG, Starting Point Systems DAC 3, and an Audioquest Dragonfly Black for peripatetic duties.

I'm Jo.

thanks, Peter. I'll give the XLD a go.

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Landloper View Post
    A few standalones: Roksan K3, Audiolab M-DAC, Myryad Z20, Beresford SEG, Starting Point Systems DAC 3, and an Audioquest Dragonfly Black for peripatetic duties.
    just a few then !

what is your favourite DAC connected to the mac ?

I'm BigBobJoylove.

I still use XLD on the rare occasions I rip CDs, it uses the Paranoia engine to give a bit perfect rip, and a sodding good job it does too.

Fidelia is my playback app of choice. Massively flexible and superb quality; I’ve found nothing to beat it. It also supports audio plugins so one can play about if it tickles one’s fancy.

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

I'm Jo.

Quote Originally Posted by pcourtney View Post
    just a few then !

what is your favourite DAC connected to the mac ?
    I like them all so it is hard to elect a primus inter pares, there are but small variations in the width of the soundstage and the 'nearness' of the sound within the audio depth of field. I find that the differences in sound between DACs, unlike the price tags, are not so great.

For functionality the Roksan is best, I use this with better recordings feeding my best HP set up, a Lehmann Linear with Sennheiser HD700s. The others I rotate using each for a few weeks at a time. I like them all and would find it hard to sell any off.

The Starting Point SP3 is a NOS DAC using a TDA1543 chip. I use that for older recordings, circ 1920-1949. It is also well suited for long listening sessions and has a small footprint and can switch over to battery power as it has two 9v batteries inside.

The Beresford SEG I use along with a Beresford Capella HPA and Sennheiser HD650s. A super pairing IMO, and the two boxes can run off a single power supply as the Capella has a DC out that the SEG can run off.

The Myryad has a laid-back sound and matches a Myryad Z40 HPA I have, another pairing that i can use for long hours without fatigue.

The Dragonfly I use when away from home and it feeds a pair of Grado SR80s.

I do most of my listening over headphones and find swapping out DACs less of a changer than using other headphone amps or headphones.

I'm Peter.

that sounds like you have most everything under control there !
    love my K-1000's :-)
    Movies ~ oppo 105 ~ marantz SR8001 ~ tannoy precision ~ BK Monolith Sub
    Vinyl ~ beogram 8002 ~ graham slee accession phono pre
    Red Book ~ Teac PD-H600 ~ red wine audio signature 30.2 ~ akg k-1000 headphones

+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122