+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: Audiophile output on Mac OSX

I'm Andras.

hi guys,

the built in toslink outputs 96/24, the airport tops out at 44/16. mine did at least. (2nd gen). in me previous system (creek, totem, musical fidelity) i did not hear much of a difference between the AE and and the direct toslink connection, in my current one the wired connection is quite a bit better, and USB is better then toslink (usb is 1m, toslink 3m) that being said, 10 meters is quite a long run, you should try it out, i wouldnt be surprised if the AE would be better then running a cable that long. experts usually recommend a max lenght of 1.5m for coax, 1.5m or less for usb and i guess 5m optical. i have read people say that the old AEs sound better then the apple TV, i cant confirm from own experience however. good luck!
    Firstwatt J2, AN-J LX HE, Lampizator L4G5.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by andrasszamek View Post
    hi guys,

the built in toslink outputs 96/24, the airport tops out at 44/16. mine did at least. (2nd gen). in me previous system (creek, totem, musical fidelity) i did not hear much of a difference between the AE and and the direct toslink connection, in my current one the wired connection is quite a bit better, and USB is better then toslink (usb is 1m, toslink 3m) that being said, 10 meters is quite a long run, you should try it out, i wouldnt be surprised if the AE would be better then running a cable that long. experts usually recommend a max lenght of 1.5m for coax, 1.5m or less for usb and i guess 5m optical. i have read people say that the old AEs sound better then the apple TV, i cant confirm from own experience however. good luck!
    Thanks for this, I'm going to go squeezebox touch rather than airport express, as I listen to quite a bit of 24/96 material. Just waiting for a realistically priced one to appear on eBay!
    Rpi2 HifiBerry digi+ Ixos 105
    Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III RFC pluto mk2
    Creek Destiny 2 Van Damme UP-LCOFC
    Kef LS50

I'm Lee.

What happened to the guide at the start of this thread?
    Lee

Independent Apple tech support guy at Macnology

Gear: iMac > ALAC > Airport Express > Beresford Caiman DAC > Mark Grant IC > Audiolab 8000S > Chord Rumour Speaker Cable > Dynaudio Audience 42 Speakers > Grado SR80 Headphones

Vinyl: 90's Rega Planar 2, RB250, Bias Cart, Rega Fono Mini

Last.fm

I'm Graham.

Posting mistake.
    Last edited by The Night Watchman; 04-03-2016 at 15:57.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by r100 View Post
    If the DAC is 10 meters from the MAC then why not get a second hand Airport Express or even a Raspberry Pi running Volumio which can either output to USB or carry its own DAC ?

cheers

PS. Thank's to you, I have just realised that my 2014 MBP has an optical audio out !! Just tried it and it is also limited to 44.1kHz which is the same as the Airport Express. To better that you would probably have to use the USB out of your MAC, into a Coax/SPDIF converter (TeraDak ?) and into the Beresford if it doesn't have a direct USB input.

PS2 the above is my exact setup in my office. I have a Beresford hooked up to a newer square Airport Express. Quality is great but I do hear some clicks now and then. The older Airport Express (the one that has the plug on it) I have in my main system doesn't click with the Beresford.
    If your MacBook Pro is a 2014 model then it should fall into the spec below. My 15” MBP 2013 model is running at 192kHz from optical out. I have t ied the USB and this is limited to 44.1kHz. I am running Audirvana on autodetect and it detects the 192kHz. I am tech. support idiot at Apple the quote below is from Apple KBase.

I would check software/hardware settings maybe trial Audvirana and see what you get.

Hope this helps.

“Play high sample rate digital audio on Mac computers
    The audio hardware in some MacBook Pro, Mac Pro, and iMac computers supports 176.4 kHz and 192 kHz digital audio when connected using optical output.

These computers support up to 192 kHz sample rate for audio playback:
    MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013) through MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)
    MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013) through MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)
    iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2014) through iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2014)
    iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, Late 2015)
    iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014) through iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)
    Mac Pro (Late 2013)
    Mac mini (Late 2014)
    To set your Mac to play high sample rate audio:
    Connect one end of a TOSLINK optical cable to the headphone port on your Mac, and connect the other end to your audio device, such as an AV receiver.
    Open Audio MIDI Setup, which is in the Utilities folder of your Applications folder.
    Select your audio device from the list on the left side of the Audio Devices window.
    If necessary, choose “Use this device for sound output” from the Action pop-up menu .
    Select a sample rate, such as 176400.0 Hz or 192000.0 Hz, from the Format pop-up menu.
    If the audio hardware in your Mac doesn't support high sample rate audio, you can use a third-party digital audio interface.”
    [FONT="Arial"]
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound

Michel GyroDec (slightly modified), SME IV arm(special build virtually a V), Michel Cusis MC cartridge, Furutech AG-12-R4 High Performance Phono Cable, LFD MMC special phono stage, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi to Beresford Caiman SEG DAC, Meridian 508 CD to Caiman SEG, ALLNIC T1500 MKII SET 300B amp, Vienna Acoustics Mozart SE speakers, Chord Epic speaker leads, & signature links, the Eccose Conductor CA1 cd to pre

+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021