+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Squeezebox and toslink

I'm Anthony.

Default Squeezebox and toslink

The Squeezebox optical output socket is a cause for concern. The toslink cable (TC-3618) I bought from Beresford falls out if I so much as breathe on it. Are there any tips for securing it better (yes, I have removed the protective covers!)?
    Anthony
    Quad ESL57s; Quad Elite pre-amp, mono amps, cd; Arcam T32; Michel Gyro SE (Denon DL-103R cartridge)

I'm Jan.

What Squeezebox? My Duet Receivers are tight as .... using Stans cables
    Jan.

Main: Touch -> Beresford Caiman II -> Carver A-500x -> B&W 704
    Office: Duet (Audiocom)
    -> Luxman L-210 -> Stax SR84 Pro
    -> Beresford Bushmaster -> Superlux HD668B

Server: A8-5500, 4 GB, SSD + 2*1 TB, Win8 w. SBS 7.9 (SQLite w. High Mem)
    Tied together by D-Link DIR-655 + DGS-1008D

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyMA View Post
    The Squeezebox optical output socket is a cause for concern. The toslink cable (TC-3618) I bought from Beresford falls out if I so much as breathe on it. Are there any tips for securing it better (yes, I have removed the protective covers!)?
    it's not a mini toslink is it ?
    Intel NUC/Chevron Audio NDF16 dac/Amptastic Mini-1/Audium Comp 5
    Mains Block: Custom-HiFi-Cables PowerBlack Distribution Block (with super conditioner).
    Connected with Reference Fidelity Components Super Neptunes and Speaker Cables.
    Powered by Custom-HiFi-Cables DC2 psus

I'm Jerry.

Sorry to mention the obvious-why not use the coaxial connector as its supposedly better?
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm Anthony.

Quote Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
    Sorry to mention the obvious-why not use the coaxial connector as its supposedly better?
    I'm only following the maufacturer's recommendation. The cable is http://www.beresford.me/PP/TOSLINK_CABLE_XQ_.html. BTW, it's a Squeezebox Touch
    Anthony
    Quad ESL57s; Quad Elite pre-amp, mono amps, cd; Arcam T32; Michel Gyro SE (Denon DL-103R cartridge)

I'm Steve.

I'm only following the maufacturer's recommendation. The cable is http://www.beresford.me/PP/TOSLINK_CABLE_XQ_.html. BTW, it's a Squeezebox Touch
    Hi Anthony

I experienced a problem with this when I bought an end-of-line cable from Mark Grant. The connector design was different and it just wouldn't "click" into place and lock. I returned it and purchased the current model, which locks perfectly.

Incidently, I have found the optical feed to be slightly superior - a little smoother, more analogue but with no less detail. I have excellent cables for both.
    Steve & Valerie

www.electricbeachaudio.com

If you think you know the answer already, you're not really searching

A plastic box, some glass bottles, two metal tins and some lengths of string

I'm Anthony.

Thanks Steve. The cable was supplied by Beresford so I'll check with them - definitely no clicking into place taking place!
    Anthony

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
    +1

It certainly is on my SB receivers, I use a Belkin pureAV white coax.

I tried a little experiment...I had a little paranoid thought in my head about 'Galvanic Interference' (as the SBs are mini computers) and optical providing better isolation...etc.

So I got a Belkin pureAV multi strand toslink cable in order to test out the theory, and the answer is it's bollocks. However it does 'click' into place FYI

The coax link is much better, particularly the sound stage and imaging, and the comparison was done with and without the coax still connected.

So I'm reassured that the coax is the way to go...anyone want a nice Belkin Toslink cable
    Cheers, Will

I'm Anthony.

definitely no clicking into place taking place!
    I have to own up here. I wasn't pushing hard enough! Because I haven't used one of these cables before, I was a bit reluctant to push too hard. But if you give it some welly (into the SB Touch), then it clicks
    Anthony

I'm Will.

I have to own up here. I wasn't pushing hard enough! Because I haven't used one of these cables before, I was a bit reluctant to push too hard. But if you give it some welly (into the SB Touch), then it clicks
    Nice honesty mate...we've all done it
    Cheers, Will

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast