+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phono amp question

I'm Graham.

Default Phono amp question

This is going to show what a total novice that I am!!! At the moment I run my turntable through a phono stage to my amp which does not have a dedicated phono stage input. I'm looking to upgrade my amp in the future.
    The question is - If I get a new amp with a dedicated phono stage, can I still use my existing phono amp into the new phono stage input without causing any damage or will it enhance the amp phono stage??

I'm Deleted.

No, you can't.

You could connect your current phonostage to one of the line level inputs, but not the phono input. If you did, it wouldn't in any way enhance it, it would create a very odd balance as the RIAA curve would be applied twice and quite possibly overload the input.
    Account Deleted

I'm Graham.

Thanks for that, short and to the point

Graham

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

The main question is also, how many boxes do you want? The enthusiasts here don't care how many boxes their stereo's contain - and that's fine by me as my lash-ups are this way - but others like a simpler life, so buy an amp or preamp with phono stage built in

Good luck in your audio 'journey' and don't forget the music on the way...
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Geoff.

If you buy an amp with built in phono stage. You can plug the external phono stage into an AUX input and run two turntables, should it take your fancy.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Nodrog.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    If you buy an amp with built in phono stage. You can plug the external phono stage into an AUX input and run two turntables, should it take your fancy.
    Just what I do plus I use the usually unused radio input for a second phono stage when I fancy mucking about with three of my turntables

If I fancy using four, I could use the tape input as well

I'm Graham.

Oh No!!! Now you've got me thinking!!! TWO turntables

I'm Andr'e.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    The main question is also, how many boxes do you want? The enthusiasts here don't care how many boxes their stereo's contain - and that's fine by me as my lash-ups are this way - but others like a simpler life, so buy an amp or preamp with phono stage built in
    Well blow me down i was under the impression you had to break your system down into as boxes as possible to look like you are a proper serious Hi-Fi enthusiast loike..

Justification for doing so ofc is the usual BS

I'm Deleted.

Are you having a 'pop' Dave as you know my system has loads of boxes? Even more at present as I currently have two phonostages connected to my pre-amp (six boxes and another two for the pre). However, the second stage is only temporary and will shortly be removed.
    ----
    To play a record (which is usually all you can do in my system) there are 12 boxes (if you include the external crossovers for the speakers) and 8 mains leads. However, I don't think such box count excess in a necessity (as such) or that it means I have 'won' in any way (whatever that means) - but please don't let that get in the way of anybody's preconceptions or prejudices!

For what it's worth I didn't think the OP had anything to do with box count and interpreted it just as wanting to know how existing equipment could, or could not, be used with any new gear.
    Last edited by YNWaN; 16-02-2015 at 16:17.
    Account Deleted

I'm Graham.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    Are you having a pop Dave as you know my system has loads of boxes. Even more at present as I currently have two phonostages connected to my pre-amp (six boxes in total). However, the second stage is only temporary and will shortly be removed.

For what it's worth I didn't think the OP had anything to do with box count and interpreted just as wanting to know how existing equipment could, or could not, be used with any new gear.
    I WAS trying to keep it simple, just bought a new amp!! but now considering 2nd turntable for my "mono" stuff!!!!!! Like most hobbies - the possibilities are only limited by available dosh!!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast