+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: unhappy with crap sound of my turntable

I'm james.

Default unhappy with crap sound of my turntable

Recently bought a turntable (ebay no 141521101827) spent considerable time setting it all up Ariston RD11s with SME3009/Ortofon M20E super MC cartridge.The preamp I was using is a Naim42.5 with MM phono boards it really didn't sound nice.
    I then bought another preamp meridian 506 from (ebay £148) fortunetely it had the correct meridian 506 MC phono boards inside it.
    It does sound better,but it still isn't good. If I could tweak my turntable to sound half as good as my CDs I would be delighted.

The best way I can describe the sound is its boomy/basy and sounds bad/distorted if I turn it up loud.
    My power amps are meridian 205s speakers sonus fabor concertinos.
    Any help much appreciated as if this is as good as vinyl gets It is going on ebay to the higest bidder.

I'm Grant.

Welcome James. nice to have another Scottish vinyl join. Your question should be put into the analogue section where it will receive better attention. The welcome area is where you introduce yourself, and tell us about your system, musical tastes etc.
    sure you will receive plenty good advice.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Welcome to AOS James.

We should be able to sort out your problems.

Are you sure it's an MC. The M20E was MM if I'm correct.

Is your phono stage MM and used with an SUT? An inadequate SUT can give results like those you describe with an MC.

Also, what 3009 do you have, is it the detachable headshell type? If so you need a heavy and rigid cast headshell to work with MCs.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

Think it is a moving Iron Geoff
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

James, post a photo showing your arm and cartridge clearly. Maybe that will give us an idea. The Ariston is a good sounding turntable. You can get excellent results with it.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

He has another thread in analogue now geoff
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm james.

I think my cartridge is MM as the calibration card is printed variable magnetic shunt.
    141521101827 this is the ebay no of my RD11s price (negotiated outside ebay) for £350.
    My meridian 501 definetely has phono boards 515 definitely moving coil.another recent ebay purchase item no(171648077222)
    how lucky to find 2 515 boards inside it for £148 bargain.

I'm james.

Dont know what a SUT is

I'm Geoff.

Not entirely sure what you're saying, but you definitely can't use phono boards intended for low output MCs with an M20 series Ortofon. The input will overload and distort.

I'm Grant.

Yep it is an old moving iron cart. stylii are near impossible to get. it is very high compliance as well. might be best to acquire a better mm cart to get started with. low budget an at 95e or a little up the tree an ortofon 2m red.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast