+ Reply to Thread

Thread: solid core or multistranded speaker wire ?

I'm Trefor.

Default solid core or multistranded speaker wire ?

A very old question I know.
    But need to wire a 7.1 av system and wondered if anyone has compared the two.
    Sure I've tried once upon a time and can't remember the results.
    I was only going the very basic cheap diy ish route and not the mad money approach.

I'm Richard.

Solid core for treble and stranded for bass. That doesn't actually help you, does it? But that's how I would wire speakers internally.
    Take your pick, really. Everyone seems to have a different opinion, plus those who think it makes no difference.
    ABD.

I'm Neil.

Solid core for a bit more focus and attack, and multi-strand for a bit more tonal colour and richness, and I mean a bit...
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by awkwardbydesign View Post
    Solid core for treble and stranded for bass. That doesn't actually help you, does it? But that's how I would wire speakers internally.
    Take your pick, really. Everyone seems to have a different opinion, plus those who think it makes no difference.
    Or the opposite, with multi-strand being sweeter at the top end... a different opinion indeed, and tastes, need to listen for ourselves!
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Andrei.

Quote Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
    A very old question I know.
    But need to wire a 7.1 av system and wondered if anyone has compared the two.
    Sure I've tried once upon a time and can't remember the results.
    I was only going the very basic cheap diy ish route and not the mad money approach.
    Although I'm of the 'everything makes a difference' persuasion I am sure I would not be able to hear the difference. I would just be a bit practical: Solid core is probably a bit easier to work with, but on the hand if your wires will have to navigate some tight corners I would go for stranded so as not to stress the wire.
    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Sources:[/B] [B]1[/B][/COLOR] PC & Wyred4Sound DAC-2 DSDse   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]2[/B][/COLOR] Oppo BDP105   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]3[/B][/COLOR] Technics SL·1210 MK5 (Jelco 750D · Benz Wood).    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speaker Cable[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=black]Nordost Frey.[/COLOR]    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Interconnects [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Oyaide[/COLOR][COLOR=black] & [/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Geisha [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Silver.
    [/COLOR][B][COLOR=#a52a2a]Phono Stage [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=black]Fosgate Signature V2. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Preamp [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Ayon Eris[/COLOR][COLOR=black]. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Power Amp[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=Black]ATC P1. [/COLOR]  ​ [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speakers[/B][/COLOR] Triangle Magellan Cello.     [COLOR=#A9A9A9]Oh Sting, where is thy death?[/COLOR]

I'm Trefor.

Thanks Guys,

Seems like a lot less egos on this forum, a previous one that i was on had just too much system waving.

But nuff said, just to say seems more relaxed over here.

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    Or the opposite, with multi-strand being sweeter at the top end... a different opinion indeed, and tastes, need to listen for ourselves!
    LOL! I find solid strand to reduce sibilance. To MY ears in MY system in MY room, etc, etc,,,,,,,,
    And as for ease of use, I would probably choose stranded, as it will cope with being moved around better. Talk 3 and Van Damme seem popular at a reasonable* price.
    * I have some TQ Ultra Blue at £31/m. To me THAT sounds reasonable!
    And the egos are here, we are just moderated more closely!
    ABD.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by awkwardbydesign View Post
    LOL! I find solid strand to reduce sibilance. To MY ears in MY system in MY room, etc, etc,,,,,,,,
    And as for ease of use, I would probably choose stranded, as it will cope with being moved around better. Talk 3 and Van Damme seem popular at a reasonable* price.
    * I have some TQ Ultra Blue at £31/m. To me THAT sounds reasonable!
    And the egos are here, we are just moderated more closely!
    Yes that's the important thing, things are different for different setups and addressing that last tiny bit of balance! My cables use a mix of solid core and multistrand. I would agree that solid core can sound purer and less sibilant, less "ringy" I guess.

I'm Neil.

And yes, one of the biggest strengths of this forum is that such discussion is respected, and we don't get the objective police hammering us as fools in such threads.

I'm Trefor.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    And yes, one of the biggest strengths of this forum is that such discussion is respected, and we don't get the objective police hammering us as fools in such threads.
    Exactly, we are all a bit mad and definitely caught up in our addiction , but I think it's supposed to be enjoyable ,not scarey.

+ Reply to Thread