+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Jehovah’s Witnesses

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by jollyfix View Post
    Follow them to their home, knock on their door and talk endlessly about HIFI, whilst holding several copies of HIFI world . Maybe best not as they are elderly.
    That is very good advice Jolly
    Source: Heavily modified DDDAC using MacBook Pro.
    Amplification: Pre amp-Stereo Coffee pre amp on steroids.
    Power amp- Rather large Colin Wonfor Class A power Amp
    Speakers: Lampizator P17 Open Baffles
    Accessories: Klotz 500 DIY Interconnects & DIY speaker cable sounding better than anything commercial.
    All powered from a Mother Trucker BPS with a dedicated consumer unit with 10mm armoured radial back to the house tails after the meter.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

I invited two of them in once...I think it was April 2007...a rainy Thursday afternoon.... Anyway, I led them down to the dungeon, where Tabatha lives (claiming that's where the lounge was), locked the door, and left her to 'entertain' them... I think they're probably still tied up now.

Haven't seen them since, although the police have called a couple of times, enquiring if I'd seen any JW's in the area. I just deny it and close the door with a knowing grin... Oddly, no more have appeared since.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Andre, maybe you should really mess with their heads and invite them in. Bet that never happens..

Probably not very often, but many moons ago when I was about 25 I was also fed up of the door knocking. I spoke to them for a while on the door step then invited them in for coffee. They nearly fell over. They said that they couldn't. They then sent one of their big wigs along a few days later. I invited him in and asked him many questions, that I already knew the answers to. He got a bit uncomfortable then left. They left me alone for a few years. then the next batch started knocking.
    Source: Heavily modified DDDAC using MacBook Pro.
    Amplification: Pre amp-Stereo Coffee pre amp on steroids.
    Power amp- Rather large Colin Wonfor Class A power Amp
    Speakers: Lampizator P17 Open Baffles
    Accessories: Klotz 500 DIY Interconnects & DIY speaker cable sounding better than anything commercial.
    All powered from a Mother Trucker BPS with a dedicated consumer unit with 10mm armoured radial back to the house tails after the meter.

I'm Grant.

Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Mike.

Get them in and talk about your Kawasaki 500

(you might have to watch Absolutely!) to do it properly

TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

I'm Geoff.

Every kind of Bible Basher under the sun calls here now and then. I just politely indicate that they should 'Go Forth an Multiply'.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    not much you can do except ask them not to come back. i did this and have a no buying from doorstep sign etc and it mostly works now. as your in a block of flats it is a little more difficult to control. if everyone in the bock were of the same mind you could seek advice from the local police.
    I am married to a Jehovah's Witness and as far as I know if you ask them not to call on you then they shouldn't. That is not to say that it definitely won't happen again as mistakes can happen and information may not be passed on effectively, as Grant says living in a block of flats does make it more difficult. If it continues, ask to speak to one of the elders and explain to them that you have asked not to be called on. Again, as far as I know they would rather spend their time trying to reach people that are receptive to their message. It obviously wasn't rammed down your throat if they walked away.

Please remember that Jehovah's Witnesses are normal people when they are not out knocking on doors and some are nervous about doing this, which is not surprising really when you consider some of the reactions they get. This may explain why the looking through you thing that happened, although that must have seemed a rude thing to do, I would have thought they would have least tried to engage you in a conversation as an opening for a discussion.

I do wonder what would have happened if all of the residents of the flats had gone to the front door at the same time though.

I hope this helps
    Paul

I'm Bernie.

What do you get when you cross a Jehovah's Witness with a Hells Angel?

Somebody who comes to your door and tells YOU to f%&k off!
    Bernie.

I'm Rob.

I invited them in a while back. Religion fascinates me, (but I find that the more I read about it the more ludicrous it seems), so I don't mind having a chat about it.

It all ended a little quickly when one of them said that Christ was perfect, to which I replied that he most certainly wasn't. In fact, him being imperfect was the whole point. That despite having to put up with human frailties he managed to follow the path to god, and therefore acted as an example to us. If he hadn't had to struggle with his human imperfections, spending all that time in the desert being goaded by the devil wouldn't have been a problem. My final point being that if Christ was perfect he wouldn't have doubted god when on the cross and cried out "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?". At that point they went off in a huff and haven't been back since.

It's quite interesting really. They can usually quote sections of the bible, but they rarely understand the meanings of the passages.

My father's favourite tactic is to ask them if they are disappointed that they'll never get to heaven, as there is only space for fourteen thousand, and far more than that have died already. So there's no chance that the Jehovah's witness that lands on your doorstep is going to squeeze it.
    Rob.