+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sugden P51: Anyone could shed some light on this one?

Default Sugden P51: Anyone could shed some light on this one?

I recently got my hand on a Sugden P51 amplifier, I already have an old integrated A21 this one landed out off the blue from someone who had no interest in it.
    It was apparently well cared-for, but as I wanted to have a better idea of the general condition I had to get the cover off. I am clueless as to what I have.

I expected an amplifier made using roughly the same topology and active devices as other product (late A21 SIII, A48 II ...) from this maker from that same period ie; T0-3 (2N30055) output devices.
    Now this amplifier has as drivers, BC639/640 in pairs driving in final a quartet of MJE3055 & complementary (plastic TO) in parallel. That is 16 output transistors, four per heathsink.

The only reliable informations I can refer to is 2 different schematics, one using TO-3 for which I have a component list, and another one probably of later date since it has a few more transistors and include an "anti-thump" circuit that is present on the amplifier I have for which I have no component list...

I have asked on another forum in U.K. if someone would have some information on the subject, It was said that Sugden did go for plastic TO220 transistors for it was seen as the way forward.
    Someone have suggested it would be a modification . I can yet resign myself to this conclusion, not that I would have a problem if it had been modified the work is flawless.

The amplifier was wired for north america main voltage (120) a label underneath states so , the output devices were install on a same heatsink as those used by Sugden ( same material, profile, and width)
    using cheeshead screws that were never adopted in america... ?

Any information will be most apreciated

20150127_165653.jpg20150131_162752.jpg20150202_164653.jpg

I'm Richard.

Why not just ask Sugden? enquiries@sugdenaudio.com
    ABD.

Thank you I just did so.

Because of the internet I always feel bad for the poor guy who has to reply to all sort of enquiries from all over the world for products gone out of production many decades ago.

:.."Dear Sir hello, is true quad 1 better sound (more velevet) than quad II? please urgent quick reply befor 2 days because auction over after."...

While humoristic I am sure they may have received worst.

I bought one of their products new 3 years ago, so after all I shouldn't be too shy.

Henri.

I'm Andr'e.

My fav Suggie without a shadow of a doubt is the is the 'A51' {Welding Rig}.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    I built a 'chinese copy' of one of those. (I knew someone who knew Jim Sugden, so was able to get me the PCBs, transformer and components at cost.)
    Barry

I'm Stuart.

Great amp - I used one for years with the C51 pre, tho' the A51 deserved something better. Really made the Tannoys sing.

Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by StuN View Post
    Great amp - I used one for years with the C51 pre, tho' the A51 deserved something better. Really made the Tannoys sing.
    I used my homebuilt A51 with either the C51 pre or a Quad 33. Still have both preamps.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread