+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Linn Asak / VdH - good buy / bad buy?

I'm gone.

Default Linn Asak / VdH - good buy / bad buy?

eBay impetuosity strikes again!

Purchased yesterday evening - no, I wasn't drunk!

Despite being very happy with both my Orty MC25FL and GAS 2-MF carts, for some reason this BIN listing took my fancy.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Linn-Asak-...item4d2df5ad38

- Any thoughts?

- Can anyone decipher VdH's inscription on the cart body shown in one of the photos?

- Do I return it as unsuitable when it arrives?

Will I like it?

Any views, opinions or application forms for me to fill in for my local Home for the Bewildered are welcome!
    Last edited by jandl100; 19-02-2015 at 07:07.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I used to have a Linn Asak, but it saw little use after I found an EMT. The Asak was recently sold to a fellow member here, who is delighted with it.

The quality of Van den Hul's work in replacing the stylii with one of his own, has often been criticised as being poor and messy, with excessive use of glue being frequently cited. However the proof is in the listening - I don't see why your purchase should not play well. The original Asak was fitted with a stylus having an Ogura profile. I'm not sure how that compares with Van den Hul's 'gothic arch' profile.

Sorry, I can't read the inscription Van den Hul has made on the cartridge body either. Probably a date when the work was done.

Incidently some users have reported benefits in using the cartridge 'nude' - the outer cover can be removed quite easily. I can't say I noticed any difference when I tried it with mine.

Let us know how you get on.
    Barry

I'm gone.

Thanks Barry - I'm expecting / hoping for a rather different sound compared to my Ortofon MC25FL - I suspect the Asak/VdH will deliver that in spades!

I'm a bit of a clumsy oaf, so I will be guided by your own experience of 'nuding' the Asak and not bother.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Thanks Barry - I'm expecting / hoping for a rather different sound compared to my Ortofon MC25FL - I suspect the Asak/VdH will deliver that in spades!

I'm a bit of a clumsy oaf, so I will be guided by your own experience of 'nuding' the Asak and not bother.
    Unless Van den Hul was a bit enthusiastic with the glue when refitting the outer body, I found on mine the thin outer shell simply slipped off quite easily. Personally I would not advise exposing the magnets to the elements, as they can quickly become covered with metallic detritus which is impossible to remove.

As to the sound, the Asak is 'punchy' with good clarity and focus, but I wasn't 'engaged' or involved in the music so much as I am when using either an EMT, Ortofon SPU, or Denon.

By the way, the Asak likes to be loaded with 390 Ohm (+ 7.5nF). I think I used 2.2g VTF and 2.0g bias (used with an SME 3009 arm with light damping).
    Barry

I'm Deleted.

It doesn't look like the re-tip was very recent Jerry and I see the seller doesn't make any kind of commitment as to how much use the cartridge has had. If it sounds a bit flat and lifeless I would say the stylus is shot (fingers crossed though).
    Account Deleted

I'm gone.

Thanks again, Barry - with my present phonostage I can dial in 250 Ohms, close enough for government work? (50, 100, 250 and 1000 Ohms selectable).
    It's also got a healthy 70dB gain on mc, so should be OK for the Asak's lowish output.

I have seen varied recommendations for vtf, 1.6g upwards. Just try it and see I guess, although for most carts I seem happiest around the 2.0g mark.

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    It doesn't look like the re-tip was very recent Jerry and I see the seller doesn't make any kind of commitment as to how much use the cartridge has had. If it sounds a bit flat and lifeless I would say the stylus is shot (fingers crossed though).
    Yep, noted, Mark.

I'll see how it goes - the listing gives a refund promise for BIN sales, which this was.

From Barry's sonic description, it should sound lively.

I'm gone.

She's arrived!

A bit of a booger to set up :

Non-standard pin size - why? - necessitating 4 gentle squeezes with needle-nose pliers
    & what a shallow cartridge this is! - a couple of spacers twixt cart and headshell needed and arm height at minimum.

But, the sound - well, initial thoughts - really pleasing. Exceptional midrange clarity and very quick and clean on transients. Powerful dynamics with good heft in the upper bass. Very fine 3D imaging.

The low output (0.2mV?) does challenge my phonostage a bit even with its 70dB gain on MC with a bit of hum starting to creep in when the wick needs turning up. It's acceptable, but I do also have an active gain doodad I could try which might sort the issue completely.

Overall the effect is definitely "yummy" !

Seems to track AOK on music, so whipped my Hifi Sound test LP out and it tracks the lower level modulation grooves fine (12 dB lateral and 8dB vertical) at 2g, and loses it a bit on the higher level tracks, but just a bit of tizz, not gross.
    My current feeling is that the stylus is in decent condition and it's a great cart! Fingers crossed - much more music to play.

Does this make me a Flat Earther?

Glad to hear it's working well Jerry.

I should have mentioned the shallow cartridge body - I too had to use a couple of 2mm spacers between the cartridge and headshell (an ADC), in order to prevent the back of the headshell grounding.

What VTF are you using?

Flat Earther? Well you haven't mentioned PRAT yet!
    Barry

I'm gone.

VTF just a tad over 2g, Barry, and bias at the 2g setting as well.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast