+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Mains un switched socket

I'm James.

Just had house wiring system checked out and had now earth bond to hot water pipes. Had this done yesterday.

My system showed a slight drop in noise floor.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Mike.

Good init ?
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

I'm Tristan.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Just had house wiring system checked out and had now earth bond to hot water pipes. Had this done yesterday.

My system showed a slight drop in noise floor.
    What are the mechanics of this earth? Does anything attach to the hifi?

I'm Alan.

With an installation meeting the current requirements for electrical installations these bonding connectors will be already fitted. Only older properties are likely not to have these.
    A fairly big (4mm sq, not sure) earth wire is strapped to any metal pipework then connected to the earth of the house wiring.

No direct connection is made to the hifi.

Alan
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    With an installation meeting the current requirements for electrical installations these bonding connectors will be already fitted. Only older properties are likely not to have these.
    A fairly big (4mm sq, not sure) earth wire is strapped to any metal pipework then connected to the earth of the house wiring.

No direct connection is made to the hifi.

Alan
    Couple of things. First I had no earth bonding at all as it is a old house. Also there was no earth continuous connectivity.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by clap View Post
    What are the mechanics of this earth? Does anything attach to the hifi?
    Hi Tristan,

It was the earth continuous connectivity that made the biggest difference. One of my earth wires had dropped out of one of the ring main ground floor sockets.
    Not sure if the earth bonding made any difference as it is not directly connected as Alan pointed out.

I'm Paul.

I've read through this thread with interest as I have been looking for a solution to increase the number of sockets available.

I would like to know if there is a Schuko outlet that will fit in place of a single UK 3 pin socket. From looking at images of the Schuko outlet it doesn't seem that the fixings are in the same place as the UK socket. This isn't to attach to the wall, it is to go into an Olson block. The problem with a Schuko block for me is that I need at least 2 standard 3 pin sockets for wallwarts. One possibility would be to fit 15A round pin plugs if necessary.

Any other suggestions?

At the moment a 2 gang switched socket feeds my digital and analogue kit via separate unfiltered distribution blocks. Are separate feeds worthwhile? I was going to fit an unswitched MK socket in place of the switched one but the existing tails were too short for the MK layout, I've got another unswitched socket to try but that won't happen until I redecorate, (hopefully) later in the year
    Paul

I'm Mike.

Be interesting to know

I wonder if the UK sockets on the back of my P10 could be easily swapped for Schuko.....
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314