+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Must Have Recordings

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Default Must Have Recordings

Born from the "what are you spinning right now" thread, can we identify those seminal albums that if you're "into" music & hi-fi you just *have* to own? wonder how many albums we could find, if any, that EVERYONE has got...

The one that started me thinking was Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds - DanJennings suggested Dark Side of the Moon - good one, I've got it on vinyl, CD & SACD!

Any other suggestions?
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Ralph.

It would be easier to mention artists/bands than specific lps, I'm pretty sure we've all got stuff by the likes of Van the Man, Dire Straits, The Eagles, Stones, Rammstien (wot no Rammstien?) and so on but I'll put my money on Ricky Lee Jones' eponymous first album, come on 'fess up

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

The best 'Floyd on CD IMO are the Doug Sax remastered issues from the early nineties. The SACD DSOTM is godawful and muffled to me, only worth it for the surround re-mix if that floats yer boat...

One disc I've been listen to is Ozric Tentacles' Dove Records release of "Erpland." The later mastering got the absolute phase inverted and it sounds thin-toned and sucked out by comparison.

Two other oldies - the first Tracy Chapman album (good on vinyl too if you can get an original pressing from the US metalwork) and the 1976 recording from Joan Armatrading - I have a dire UK LP pressing, a superb Nimbus remaster on LP and of course the CD as well - guess which LP release sounds like the CD?

Joe Cocker - Sheffield Steel (if you get the right LP cut)
    Robert Plant - Now and Zen (LP cut as above)

Fleetwood Mac - Tusk (needs a good system to truly shine - don't bother with Rumours, it's a cr@p recording unless it's been dealt with now)

Camel - Snow Goose remastered (all of Paschal Byrne's remastering is good IMO).

Voyage of the Acolyte (remastered) on CD - the LP and first CD issue sounded distorted and thin toned by comparison.

Rage Against The Machine CD - the one with a pic of the burning Monks on the back - incredibly angry performance and the recording lets the passion through.

Erikah Badu - Baduism - I once heard some huge Wilson Benesch speakers fart like crazy on the bass notes at the beginning of the first track. A great one for checking room acoustics and bass "tunefulness." Don't play on Linn Keilidh's or Linn's passive 5140's/Espeks

More to come from the archives..
    Last edited by DSJR; 21-08-2009 at 18:33.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Nick.

Don't forget this thread as well!

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=42
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

Thanks for the heads up on that Nick, I think slightly different (enough to keep this one going, anyway!) in that I'm trying to identify the definitives, that we've all discovered - (perhaps the lowest common denominator?) - as opposed to the hidden gems we might not know about... Though that said, Dave (DSJR) has come up with some there I don't have or know...
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Nick.

That other thread is for the 'lifetime loves' and this one's more dynamic - they compliment each other! Go for it chaps
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm Neil.

Stanley Clarke-East River Drive

Saga-Behaviour

Pat Metheny-As Falls Wichita So Falls Wichita Falls.

Hawkwind-Warrior on The Edge Of Time.

Hawkwind-Quark Strangness and Charm.

Just a few to be starting with...

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    The best 'Floyd on CD IMO are the Doug Sax remastered issues from the early nineties. Maybe I'm missing a trick, but usually I run the proverbial mile from anything with the subtitle "Remastered" or "Digitally Remastered" - I don't want to hear an interpretation of the events so far removed from the energy & passion of the original even... discuss! The SACD DSOTM is godawful and muffled to me, I've only listened to the SACD version a couple of times, and never A/B'd my vinyl or normal CD version... guess what I'll be doing sometime this weekend (hopefully!) only worth it for the surround re-mix if that floats yer boat... It doesn't!

One disc I've been listen to is Ozric Tentacles' Dove Records release of "Erpland." The later mastering got the absolute phase inverted and it sounds thin-toned and sucked out by comparison. Sorry Dave, I don't know this album...

Two other oldies - the first Tracy Chapman album only got the cd - brilliant - played it Wednesday night, even better through the Caiman...(good on vinyl too if you can get an original pressing from the US metalwork) and the 1976 recording from Joan Armatrading - I have a dire UK LP pressing, a superb Nimbus remaster on LP and of course the CD as well - guess which LP release sounds like the CD? I've got the CD, but no basis for comparison... played this one post-Beresford, too

Joe Cocker - Sheffield Steel (if you get the right LP cut)
    Robert Plant - Now and Zen (LP cut as above)

Fleetwood Mac - Tusk (needs a good system to truly shine - don't bother with Rumours, it's a cr@p recording unless it's been dealt with now)

Camel - Snow Goose remastered (all of Paschal Byrne's remastering is good IMO).

Voyage of the Acolyte (remastered) on CD - the LP and first CD issue sounded distorted and thin toned by comparison.

Rage Against The Machine CD - the one with a pic of the burning Monks on the back - incredibly angry performance and the recording lets the passion through.

Erikah Badu - Baduism - I once heard some huge Wilson Benesch speakers fart like crazy on the bass notes at the beginning of the first track. A great one for checking room acoustics and bass "tunefulness." Don't play on Linn Keilidh's or Linn's passive 5140's/Espeks
    *hangs head in shame* don't own any of those you mention - except Rumours!

More to come from the archives..
    Look forward to learning how much more of a Philestine I am!
    Alex

Quote Originally Posted by REM View Post
    It would be easier to mention artists/bands than specific lps, I'm pretty sure we've all got stuff by the likes of Van the Man, of course!Dire Straits, Brothers in Arms on LP, CD, SACD - others on LP, some others CDThe Eagles, who wouldn't!Stones, Naturally! great SACD back catalogue too, if that's your bag Rammstien (wot no Rammstien?) WHO? seriously!and so on but I'll put my money on Ricky Lee Jones' eponymous first album, come on 'fess upAnd it was all going so swimmingly to start with, wasn't it?
    Oh dear!
    Alex

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Remastering isn't a problem if it's done right.

Many discs in the early days were made from any old tape they could find in the vaults, transferred "flat" with often the built in upper mid and treble boost done for LP's and often listened to on B&W 801's..... the result could be thin, hard-toned and bright!

Today, not everyone has been given 801's free gratis to use and engineers worth their salt take trouble to get the best and earliest master generation they can. the current 20 bit plus editors aren't just chosen for sound quality, the extra "bits" allow editing and subtle eq to be done without harming the fidelity of the original signal. There still seems to be some varience from the glass master to the CD finished product, but I don't know enough about that side of things to make any comments. lifting levels in remastering is fine as long as the loudest bits aren't chopped off in level. many early masterings were done too low in level and lifting volume in the digital domain back then would have ruined the sound for sure - not today if the analogue original tapes are knackered and un-playable as many are now I understand after their one and only baking...

I appreciate that some "remastering" has been disastrous and I understand that the popular Amy Wino album has been released in at least three different versions, with different compression levels on each. the "Audio Archiving Company" has done some great work for the likes of Steve hillage, Camel and ELP and the chap who engineered and subsequently re-mastered Tubular Bells - Simon Heyworth, has transformed this old recording, along with many others done for Virgin Records (the Tangerine Dream and Gong's Virgin catalogue I believe)

I forgot another old demo classic - Simply Red, itself inaudibly remastered some years ago.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast