+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moseley Folk Festival

I'm Dan.

Default Moseley Folk Festival

Well, I know there are a few folkies on here, and I know there are some people from this sort of area, and I wondered if anyone was going?

It's a great weekend out, very relaxed, and over the past 2 years I've been, I've seen some great acts; Fairport Convention, Jim Moray, Tunng, Morcheeba, Chris Wood, Nizlopi, Babel, Dave Swarbrick, Sharron Kraus, Kate Rusby, John Power (from Cast and the La's), Simon Fowler (Ocean Colour Scene) and loads more...

This year's festival I must admit I've not heard of that many of the acts, but the ones I do know make it all the better sounding.... Jethro Tull, Beth Orton, Comus, Martin Carthy, Adrian Edmondson and the bad shephards (yes that guy from bottom and the young ones), Saint Etienne and Jim Moray....
    Bert Jansch was meant to be playing, but has been taken ill and will probably not play now

So basically, is anyone going?
    or could anyone recommend someone from the lineup that I should definitely check out?

http://www.moseleyfolk.co.uk

I'm Peter.

I'd love to go but don't think I can.

Definitely check out Martin Carthy. Jim Moray is interesting. Comus might also be fun.
    I would also check out Vetiver, Beth Orton (but I don't know how good her voice is nowadays), Wizz Jones (a folkie before the folk boom that Martin Carthy is famously part of), and Nancy Kerr and James Fagan (Nancy has a lovely voice).
    Not a bad line up, really. Shame Bert Jansch is ill.
    Peter

I'm Nick.

I'd love to see Martin Carthy perform live. I've a live tape of him and Dave Swarbrick from 1990 and it is fantastic. He has a wonderful style and manner about him. I did get to see Swarb solo at the Troubadour in Earls Court around 1993 - a little club with room for maybe 100 people standing. He was great - and completely unamplified.
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm ILOB.

Enjoy it Dan
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Beechwoods View Post
    I'd love to see Martin Carthy perform live. I've a live tape of him and Dave Swarbrick from 1990 and it is fantastic. He has a wonderful style and manner about him. I did get to see Swarb solo at the Troubadour in Earls Court around 1993 - a little club with room for maybe 100 people standing. He was great - and completely unamplified.

Oooh! A live tape? Where did you get it? Do you know where it is? What date and venue? Can you tell that I might be slightly excited by your comment?

Martin Carthy and Dave Swarbrick are playing at St George's in September...
    Peter

I'm Nick.

A rather lovely off-air tape I did from Radio 2

I didn't know they were playing St Georges! I'd definitely be up for going - they are brilliant together!
    Nick
    My system...

I'm Steve.

Comus !!! I would love to go too but I am unable to, sob.

Still I hope anyone who is lucky enough to attend ahs a fantastic time.

They swim... the mark of Satan is upon them. They must hang.

FLAC / WDTV Live / Cambridge Audio / Tannoy VX12

I'm Peter.

Wow! Nice. I receognise half teh songs - and the songs I recognise are favourites. I don't think I've heard Dominion of the Sword with just those two. And the Bows of London is an amazing song.

I notice Anne Briggs name on there as well. That's very rare, she didn't do many gigs after the 60s. Now I really, really wanna hear that tape!!
    Peter

I'm Nick.

Swarbrick tells a funny story about her going off 'herbin' and she does a lovely version of 'The Martinmass Time'.

There's a sample off this tape linked over on this thread: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?p=49740 I'm sure a copy could be arranged
    Nick
    My system...

I'm Peter.

Well, you know, when I finally get my DAT machi9nes close enough to my PC again (and my PC cleaned up enough to take more data) I'm sure a few more recent tapes could themselves heading your way by way of thanks..
    Peter

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast