+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Heavy Audio Technica head shell for SPU Classic N E ?

I'm Stephen.

Default Heavy Audio Technica head shell for SPU Classic N E ?

I am awaiting delivery of an Audio Technica LH18 head shell for my Denon DL 103R (thanks for the tip on this Marco!) and am now thinking of a heavier head shell for my Ortofon SPU Classic N E (the 'nude' version without the factory shell).

Calculating the weight of the N E (13 grams) plus the necessary adaptor (2.9 grams) and perhaps a gram (?) for the allen bolts would put me around 16.9 grams before mounting on the head shell.

Do you think I should consider purchasing another AT LH18 (putting the total weight around 35 grams) for the N E or perhaps buy an LH 15 (total of around 32 grams)? Or should I spring for the price of an old 'G' model head shell off eBay?

Presently the N E is mounted on a Sumiko HS 12...........

Opinions please!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Most 'complete' SPUs (with the type G headshell) have a total mass of 32.5g.

Given that your nude SPU plus adaptor (what is that exactly?) plus fixings weigh 16.9g, you ought to be looking for a headshell that weighs 15.6g.

I'm sure there are plenty of headshells out there with a mass of around 16g.
    Barry

I'm Stephen.

Thanks Barry....I believe I'll look into the AT LH15 as that should put me right around the 32 gram figure...

The adaptor is a plastic thingy that allows clearance for the 'hump' on the back of the cartridge, which, I assume, is calculated for in the 'G' style head shell. The N E fits into the adaptor and the entire assembly is then bolted to whatever head shell one wishes to use. The adaptor comes with the purchase of an N or an N E, but are also sold separately for 23 Euros, I recall.

I'm Stephen.

Has anyone on the forum ever tried mounting an SPU N or N E in an Ortofon 'G' shell? If so, with success?

+ Reply to Thread