+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: My very modest system

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    Certainly is your SupremeBeingNess - blame Stan - he pointed me in this direction to check out the Caiman when I ordered the standard 7520 (not knowing the Caiman existed!) Suffice to say I chose the Caiman, then sort of stuck around like a bad penny!

It just seems longer to you because I am a "gob on a stick" (or whatever the forum equivalent would be!) Oh, and I'm always online because I haven't got any real friends!
    Well you've got all of us as your friends.....virtual does become real as AOS members visit each other.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

In future, look west to HiFi dave. he does Rega, some Naim and loads of lovely valve gear............ His gaff isn't too difficult to reach from Ipswich.

The HiFi part of Hughes ("Systems" in Cambridge) was absorbed into the other Cambridge store some years ago. Sevenoaks Bury St Edmunds moved to Ipswich, but that's now a charity shop (it was last week when I was in the town).
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm inthescottishmafia.

For speakers,if you would consider something a little different,check out the WD designs.They do floorstanders and they can be demoed.The good thing about a speaker with a DIY element is they sound way better than the equivalent cost of commercial offerings.They are the brainchild of Peter Comeau,who has designed speakers for Harbeth,amongst others,so I guess he knows what he's doing! I've heard a pair of the bookshelf version and they are very good indeed,being one of the most unbox-like box speakers I've ever heard,if you see what I mean.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Thanks Neil, Dave & Ali - I did find myself perusing Radlett Audio's site the other day, some of the Neat range look interesting... as does it a bit of diy - plenty of scope for detailed research!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Martin.

Hi Alex

Looks like a great system - and your room is so clean and tastefully furnished!

I've had to use 'speakers across a corner in a few previous houses - not ideal but as you say - give them a bit of space and you can get some decent imaging.

Source first - bloody good philosophy - one of the most musical/enthralling/whatever you want to call it systems I have ever heard was a Linn LP12/ Cambridge A60/Wharfedale Diamond 4s. Putting better speakers on it ruined the whole thing - there was a lesson!

Best regards

Martin

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Cheers Martin - what you can't see of course is the corner of the room that is jam-packed full of toys for my 11 month daughter! We have just decided to keep them all there, previously it looked like Hamleys round the telly! I also confess to having a tidy up before taking the pics! (all my papers and magazines strewn over the coffee table!)
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    For speakers,if you would consider something a little different,check out the WD designs.They do floorstanders and they can be demoed.The good thing about a speaker with a DIY element is they sound way better than the equivalent cost of commercial offerings.They are the brainchild of Peter Comeau,who has designed speakers for Harbeth,amongst others,so I guess he knows what he's doing! I've heard a pair of the bookshelf version and they are very good indeed,being one of the most unbox-like box speakers I've ever heard,if you see what I mean.
    What Harbeths has PC designed? I thought Alan Shaw and Dudley himself were the only ones ever to put their name to a Harbeth design (oh, and Derek Hughes recently, son of SPENcer and DORothy Hughes). I know Peter worked for other companies after he left Heybrook though (was Mission one?).

Anyway, PC is one of those who'll patiently explain what goes into voicing a speaker and why, and he'll tell you how to fine-tune a crossover to get the desired results.....

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Oh bugger you're quite right! Apologies,senior moment on my part I'm afraid,yes Heybrook was what I meant and yes,I think he did have input on some Mission designs.I'll get me coat...

I'm David.

We're all agreed though that Mr Comeau is a good guy with his heart in the right place

I'm inthescottishmafia.

He's off to China to work for Mission I think.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast