+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: My very modest system

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    Hi Andy, great advice, very much appreciated. A steel rule helps with the grill removal, but to be honest, I've not bothered more than a couple of times as they sound so fine with them in place anyway!

I haven't given them too much of a caning, as not really my thing to be honest as my ears give up long before the speakers do, usually! But yes, they are the early ones, so I will be careful not to over-drive them. You're now the second person to mention valve amps... That new Croft integrated looks appealing...

Thanks again.
    Alex, very late reply, but these are SP1's, NOT BC1's, so come as standard with BC2 style large voice-coils, ceramic magnets which don't change over the years as alnico ones can and do and a FAR better bass than Bc1's ever managed..
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Sorry buddy - work sh!t got in the way - but I promise it will happen - sometime!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    Alex, very late reply, but these are SP1's, NOT BC1's, so come as standard with BC2 style large voice-coils, ceramic magnets which don't change over the years as alnico ones can and do and a FAR better bass than Bc1's ever managed..
    Thanks Dave. Another pair went for £500 on eBay last week, not as good nick as mine, so I'm even more pleased with them knowing I got a half-price bargain! Tomorrow will be interesting, of course...
    Last edited by Alex_UK; 19-04-2011 at 20:23.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

not as good nick ass mine
    booty.gif
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

Damn, thought I'd got away with that!
    Alex

I'm Nobody.

Sorry buddy - work sh!t got in the way - but I promise it will happen - sometime!

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Thanks Dave. Another pair went for £500 on eBay last week, not as good nick as mine, so I'm even more pleased with them knowing I got a half-price bargain! Tomorrow will be interesting, of course...
    £500? All your fault for bigging them up

I'd better get some shut-eye. Hope tommorow lives up to expectations for you
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

synsei Guest

Hi Alex,

I notice that you have your system located on a rack in the corner of your room, does your TT suffer at all from resonance problems in this location?

The reason I ask is that I have always tried to avoid placing my TT's in corners as they tend to amplify low frequencies which I assume would have a detrimental effect on sound reproduction. This is why my system lives about three and a half feet from a corner with the TT shelf located above the rack. Due to the acoustics of my room there is a drop off at low frequencies in this position. To achieve this I had to compromise by mounting the TT shelf to an internal wall, which is far from ideal.

If you're not having issues I might rethink my approach as it would allow me to relocate the TT shelf to an outside and very rigid wall. One slight concern I have is that it would bring the Technics in very close proximity to one of the DM2's which again isn't an ideal situation. Below is a pic which represents my current layout although it isn't recent, there's a an SL1210 sitting above where the Thorens is located in this pic on the TT shelf The plan is to relocate the system to where the the record cabinet is situated. Another option would be to place it where the Hafler is positioned in the photo, to the left of the DM2. This is doable but the sun streams right in through that window during summer afternoons and it might not be the wisest move to have a TT near window height under those conditions. Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by synsei View Post
    I notice that you have your system located on a rack in the corner of your room, does your TT suffer at all from resonance problems in this location?
    Hi Dave - to be honest, I've never noticed it with the Garrard/SME3009 - though at loud volumes things have occasionally got a bit messy with my Pro-Ject before - but to be honest I never play music loud enough to really worry about it.
    Alex

synsei Guest

I don't get to turn the wick up that often either Alex so it might be worth the gamble. The DM2 cabs are really solid and the transmission line port exits to the bottom, front of the cabinet so I might just get away with moving everything into the corner

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast